Do you have experience with Antidepressants for stress-caused anxiety?

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
My 91 year old carer-Mum has had weeks of sadness and panicky anxiety, which is understandable, because she is 'running the ship' of her husband's care 24/7.
Leaving aside the suitability of her doing so much care, the doctor recommended that she begin taking antidepressants to edge her through this exhausting, stressful, sad, time. A bit of respite from these anxious feelings, is what she's after. The Admiral nurse in our borough says that 60% of her carers are on antidepressants. My mother's relatives all say that she is too old to take them, and there will be awful side effects!
Have you experiences with medication for depression and anxiety? She does take sleeping pills, being an insomniac by nature.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My late Mum took Citolopram fro a couple of years, without any side effects. She was on a low doseage and once they kicked in ( about a month) they made a big difference to her mood. I would say, try them. If they help, great.:D

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I am on antidepressants for years ( maybe 20). When I was caring for my mum, it were increased on a way to help me to cope ( working: 8 hrs/ day, caring: 15 hrs/ day and 24hrs/ weekend day. Sleep deprivation for months. )

Maybe without extra dosage I wouldn't be able to cope with huge pressure.

I use escitalopran, it has side effects on first week of new dosage. Then side effects disappears.

My mum used citalopran, without side effects (I don't know about first week of new dosages)

Last edited:

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
After initially being prescribed a short course of propranalol (a beta blocker) to bring my anxiety under control, I was then given citalopram for depression.

I don't know (or care!) whether it was psychological, but the propranalol worked immediately and the citalopram started to work after just five days.

I had no side effects with the propranalol, and the only side effect I had with the citalopram was feeling a bit light headed and spaced out for the first two or three days of taking it.

I'd resisted taking an antidepressant for ages, and tried other ways of coping (hypnotherapy, talk therapy and counselling) but these didn't work for me. When I went onto the tablets it was such a relief and I wish I'd done it sooner.

It's a totally individual thing, and you won't know unless your mum tries it. I think being anxious and depressed is awful at any age so I wouldn't let that be a reason for your mum not to try them. Good luck, and let us know how she gets on.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
I took antidepressants for 6 months many years ago, as a student, and found them to be an enormous help. My anxiety was off the scale at the time and I was constantly sad, and they definitely got me back to 'normal'. I had no problems coming off them.

My dad, 88, started taking antidepressants just last year. He has vascular dementia and his anxiety and stress level was impacting on his quality of life. I can't say I've seen a huge difference, although I think he sleeps better. Of course, he has dementia which is progressing, so without the antidepressants his agitation could be a lot worse.

Your poor mum. Maybe a very low dose might be worth a try? As for 'being too old for them', I'm pretty sure that's not the case!

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
My late Mum took Citolopram fro a couple of years, without any side effects. She was on a low doseage and once they kicked in ( about a month) they made a big difference to her mood. I would say, try them. If they help, great.:D

I read some terrifying/and/or worrying things on a forum ,so it is comforting that your Mum was fine with them. I am still researching the information, as it seems they are hard to withdraw quickly from.
Thanks!

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
I am on antidepressants for years ( maybe 20). When I was caring for my mum, it were increased on a way to help me to cope ( working: 8 hrs/ day, caring: 15 hrs/ day and 24hrs/ weekend day. Sleep deprivation for months. )

Maybe without extra dosage I wouldn't be able to cope with huge pressure.

I use escitalopran, it has side effects on first week of new dosage. Then side effects disappears.

My mum used citalopran, without side effects (I don't know about first week of new dosages)

Wikipedia said your drug, excitalopran, worked better in tests than citalopran.
Thanks for your input. (I wonder if St Johns Wort couldn't be tried first...So much to examine. She is so thin, and 91.)
How hard you've worked! I admire your character and will and compassion, and am wishing the world had more Yous in it.

Last edited:

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
I was prescribed this, for me it aids sleep, reduces pain, eases stress, depression and anxiety.
Downsides are that if I take it post 8pm, can be a little groggy in the morning.
Luckily I am able to use it very sparingly now. 1 tablet is OK, 2 tablets and its goodbye for 10 hours!

It is what our news agent uses, but she has a private doctor. I wish we could try that, although it is very old, I think..

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
After initially being prescribed a short course of propranalol (a beta blocker) to bring my anxiety under control, I was then given citalopram for depression.

I don't know (or care!) whether it was psychological, but the propranalol worked immediately and the citalopram started to work after just five days.

I had no side effects with the propranalol, and the only side effect I had with the citalopram was feeling a bit light headed and spaced out for the first two or three days of taking it.

I'd resisted taking an antidepressant for ages, and tried other ways of coping (hypnotherapy, talk therapy and counselling) but these didn't work for me. When I went onto the tablets it was such a relief and I wish I'd done it sooner.

It's a totally individual thing, and you won't know unless your mum tries it. I think being anxious and depressed is awful at any age so I wouldn't let that be a reason for your mum not to try them. Good luck, and let us know how she gets on.

O, thanks. I might think about propanalol, as I still have reservations about the citalopram.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
I took antidepressants for 6 months many years ago, as a student, and found them to be an enormous help. My anxiety was off the scale at the time and I was constantly sad, and they definitely got me back to 'normal'. I had no problems coming off them.

My dad, 88, started taking antidepressants just last year. He has vascular dementia and his anxiety and stress level was impacting on his quality of life. I can't say I've seen a huge difference, although I think he sleeps better. Of course, he has dementia which is progressing, so without the antidepressants his agitation could be a lot worse.

Your poor mum. Maybe a very low dose might be worth a try? As for 'being too old for them', I'm pretty sure that's not the case!

Well, maybe the right kind of antidepressant- one that doesn't augment her frailties, which are insomnia, not much interest in eating, and being 91 and a little high strung.
Thanks for replying. Your poor Dad, of course he is stressed out! My Dad has mixed dementia, and sleeps often, which must be calming.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Well, maybe the right kind of antidepressant- one that doesn't augment her frailties, which are insomnia, not much interest in eating, and being 91 and a little high strung.
Thanks for replying. Your poor Dad, of course he is stressed out! My Dad has mixed dementia, and sleeps often, which must be calming.

Dad takes trazodone, and started on less (50mg) than the usual lowest dose (100mg), to see how he tolerated it. He's since moved up to 100mg. As far as I'm aware, he's had no side effects, his appetite is still good, and he even sleeps a little better (but isn't drowsy during the day).

I once took citalopram, a few years ago for anxiety, and found I couldn't tolerate it. It made me feel very tired and dizzy. The side effects might have gone away if I'd persevered, but I decided not to take anything in the end :).

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Your mother GP know you mother far better than we do - if its what he suggests why not let her try it? Why do her relative get a say? What does their experience count for?

citalopram. is a very common entry level anti D, taken by thousands.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
My mum was very sensitive to all drugs, but tolerated Citalopram (in her 70's) very well and with good effect.

My sister in her 50's has also recently found it helpful, and easy to come off as her need stopped.

About 15 years ago I used Fluoxetine (Prozac), and found it helpful, and easy to stop when the time was right.

I believe that antidepressants can be very useful, in conjunction with medical and therapy support - don't be too quick to dismiss them on the basis of some bad experiences you have read on a forum - people very rarely write when they haven't had a problem with something!

Soldiering on in a worsening situation can be very physically and mentally debilitating, and that's a high price to pay.

Perhaps your mother's relatives who think she shouldn't take them could take over her duties, then she won't need the antidepressants!

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Both my parents were on Citalopram for anxiety. Mum has been on it for five years now. It made so much difference.
I think trying St Johns wort is just wishful thinking in this case. Citalopram has enabled my mum to be calm enough to digest her food and enjoy it.
Your mum may be 91 ( mine is 93) but she still deserves quality of life- I feel her relatives are speaking from no experience and out of date information.
And may I just say that I wish you well if you transport your parents across the Atlantic but like others do not feel it to be in their best interests- for me a bonkers idea but good luck to you

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
My 91 year old carer-Mum has had weeks of sadness and panicky anxiety, which is understandable, because she is 'running the ship' of her husband's care 24/7.
Leaving aside the suitability of her doing so much care, the doctor recommended that she begin taking antidepressants to edge her through this exhausting, stressful, sad, time. A bit of respite from these anxious feelings, is what she's after. The Admiral nurse in our borough says that 60% of her carers are on antidepressants. My mother's relatives all say that she is too old to take them, and there will be awful side effects!
Have you experiences with medication for depression and anxiety? She does take sleeping pills, being an insomniac by nature.

I don't see how it's possible to leave aside the suitability of her doing so much care. If your mum has been running the ship alone, aged 91, I'd suggest her relatives might offer her some help, rather than advice. Do they help?

Last edited:

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
My mum took citalopram in her nursing home. I only wish she had spent her whole life on it! It calmed her down considerably and our lives would have been much less stressful if she had been on it for years. She seemed much more content, and if there were any side-effects we weren't aware of them.

Citalopram does seem to be the first suggestion for people with dementia, there must be a reason why that is. I would say that she should try it and just keep an eye on her for a few weeks whilst any side-effects settle down.

I have had cycles of depression myself and have tried many different anti-depressants over the years. I did try citalopram but it wasn't for me! I had panic attacks when I'd never had them before or since, and I felt so nauseous so I discontinued them. The one that really worked for me was Effexor, no side effects.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
My mother has been in a dementia care home for 5 months. 4 months ago she was started on memantine & that seemed to help her to remember how to go to the loo & do other things & also it calmed her aggression.

But she was still depressed & sometimes anxious and about 2 months ago she was put on citalopram - sorry, I don't know the dosage - and it has made all the difference. She now seems serene & content & since it started to take effect, all my visits have been 'good days'.

I don't know what effect it would have on someone who was a carer rather than someone with dementia, but it's certainly been helpful for my Mum. She is 96.

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
Last year I came on board with caring for my MIL. In conjunction with her G.P we overhauled MIL drugs as she was really dizzy, sleepy and out of it. It turned out she didn't need any blood pressure meds, making her dizzy and the sertraline was making her too sleepy! She was put on citalopram 10mg. It has been really calming for her and as long as she takes it regularly works really well with no side effects. MIL is 74 vascular dementia & Alzheimer's. She also takes Donopezil.

Once I got her a pivotel medication dispenser things have been really regular and that also makes a difference.

Have a chat with her G.P or any other health care worker like an O.T who first suggested citalopram, which make me suggest it to her G.P.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Wikipedia said your drug, excitalopran, worked better in tests than citalopran.
Thanks for your input. (I wonder if St Johns Wort couldn't be tried first...So much to examine. She is so thin, and 91.)
How hard you've worked! I admire your character and will and compassion, and am wishing the world had more Yous in it.

I had St John's for 6 months long time ago, it had some side effects as long time nausea on me.

Your mum is 24/7 carer, She doesn't have 8 hours of normal life a day.

A good doctor should be able to choose the better antidepressants for each patient. However it is important to told them about any side effects that last for more than one week

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
Citalopram: a Nightmare!

I am reporting back that my mother took citalopram, half a pill, ie 5 mg, and had a night with zero sleep (though she took 3 times her usual sleeping meds) and a whirling room, horrible leg cramps, nausea, and yet a horrible alertness, which augmented the other symptoms. She had an initial experience of strength and calm, which was succeeded by the wild dizziness and so on. It is dangerous to experiment with this outside hospital, as to get up for more sleep medicine, to ease the cramps, or to get to the loo, was hard with the room whirling. No sleep at all is not for someone who's responsible for her spouse's safety.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell