Supplements / Drugs for Dementia

lvereeke

Apr 13, 2017
I am new to this site so I am not sure I am posting in the right area. Has anyone on here every had great success with a drug and/or supplement for the beginning stages of Dimentia. My sisters and I are concerned for our 82 yr old mother who has began showing signs of dementia. She forgets what pills she has taken, appointments, gets lost driving some times and just recently talked to my one sister on the phone and 1/2 hr later when I asked if she had talked to her, she said no.

In desperate need for help...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Linda

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you are concerned that she has dementia, take her to her GP and get a referral to a Memory Clinic. Only a diagnosis can confirm which medication, if any, can be prescribed (there are no pills for some of the forms of dementia). These medications will halt or slow down progression for a while but not forever, and none of them will cure. If your mother tolerates them well, they can prove beneficial for some time.

Don't fall for supplements, they might not do harm, but there is no official evidence that they will help and they will just separate you from your money.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There is no cure or even anything proven to do much good as Beate suggests the GP is the best thing. There are some vitamins that can be deficient in people with AZ, vitamin B12 is a common one.
Medication like Donepezil (also called Aricept) is usually prescribed or one of the other alternatives but none claim to be a cure they just slow the progress of the disease.
There is speculation than any number of things can help from coconut oil, turmeric and cannabis oil but I (personally) think it's just wishful thinking.
No one sells a product that makes any claim that could be challenged in court, they rely on people making the claims for them, is manuka honey really as magical as people claim, who knows the manufactures (the people not the bees) stay away from claiming anything they could be asked to substantiate.
K

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Words of wisdom already posted ahead of me. When it comes to a possible diagnosis of Dementia, your mother's gp really should be your first contact. Lack of B12 is nearly always looked at first.

pippop1

Apr 8, 2013
Sadly, you should also consider whether she is currently safe to drive as you say she gets lost.