Dementia and a diabetic who now likes chocolate!

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello everyone!

After having replied to Raggedy Anne's thread about diabetics and dementia I need to ask for your suggestions on how to help a diabetic person who now has a sweet tooth and who can still go out on his own but tends to buy chocolate without considering his diabetes. I have thrown several bars away in front of dad and left notes for him and done allsorts. He used to go down to Mr Simms Old Sweet Shop and buy the no added sugar chocolate but now he goes to the shops up the road and buys cadbury's chocolate. I want to allow dad the freedom of going out on his own whilst he still can and hence keep some of my own freedom but I would happily consider any ideas to help him.

MaNaAk

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hm. I think you can only have one thing - freedom or sugar-free chocolate. People with dementia often develop a sweet tooth, and to try and fight against it with logic and notes is almost inevitably a losing battle. So you'll have to decide what's more important - Dad's sense of freedom or his health.

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi, you're not alone. My mum's diabetic and her favourite food is anything sweet. Her fast seems to get sweeter all the time and strawberries now need to have sugar added or else she pulls a face like a bulldog stung by a wasp!
She is unable to shop alone but would come home with a bag full of cakes, biscuits and sweets if there was no control.
The carers leave a trail of cakes on shelves around the shop when mum looks the other way.
We also have a hidden drawer where we keep any treats to spread them over a few days, or they would all be eaten at once.
Apart from regular eye and blood tests and telling the GP or speaking to the shop keeper if its a small shop, there's not a lot you can do.
My mum's GP said that diabetes was the least of my mum's concerns, so I wouldn't worry about it too much in the grand scheme of things. I'm not dismissing diabetes it is a serious condition but with Alzheimer's you have to prioritise and in my book independence tops it. I don't really see how you could stop your dad going to the shop even if you wanted to.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hm. I think you can only have one thing - freedom or sugar-free chocolate. People with dementia often develop a sweet tooth, and to try and fight against it with logic and notes is almost inevitably a losing battle. So you'll have to decide what's more important - Dad's sense of freedom or his health.

Thankyou Beate,

He's been very good over the last 48 hours and I although I will throw away any chocolate which I find that is not good for him I have thought about filling the draw with other healthier treats. I am also finding strength from I don't where to deal with this problem because I have a sweet tooth myself and I have been told to watch my cholesterol so throwing things like this away is very difficult for me. I also realise that from dad's point of view my feelings don't count as much as they used to which is very sad. I can only thank god that mum is not around to see this and I hope that if she is looking down on me that she realises that I am doing my best for dad.

I am lucky, however, that dad still has his gentle nature and although he was talking about going to Malaysia yesterday to see his parents (who died years ago) he was giving me money to pay for a broken bracelet in the afternoon!!! The bracelet was broken after the catch caught in my hair at the local theatre.

MaNaAk

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
My Mum has type 1 diabetes so we have the issue of injections 4 times a day and what seems constant blood testing
Mum will pester and pester for sweet things even though she know it is bad for her, she has been in hospital as she can't seem regulate her sugar levels and we had to have the paramedics has her blood sugars had dipped to a dangerous levels and thought we were going to lose her.
Dad and I tend to be really strict and say she can't has sugary sweet things and have to suffer the aggression if she can't get her own way.
When her blood glucose levels are not within a safe range seems to make her Alzheimer's symptoms more pronounced
Diabetes and Alzheimer's are not a good combination and not easy to manage

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hi, you're not alone. My mum's diabetic and her favourite food is anything sweet. Her fast seems to get sweeter all the time and strawberries now need to have sugar added or else she pulls a face like a bulldog stung by a wasp!
She is unable to shop alone but would come home with a bag full of cakes, biscuits and sweets if there was no control.
The carers leave a trail of cakes on shelves around the shop when mum looks the other way.
We also have a hidden drawer where we keep any treats to spread them over a few days, or they would all be eaten at once.
Apart from regular eye and blood tests and telling the GP or speaking to the shop keeper if its a small shop, there's not a lot you can do.
My mum's GP said that diabetes was the least of my mum's concerns, so I wouldn't worry about it too much in the grand scheme of things. I'm not dismissing diabetes it is a serious condition but with Alzheimer's you have to prioritise and in my book independence tops it. I don't really see how you could stop your dad going to the shop even if you wanted to.

Thankyou Carpe Diem!

At least he buys one chocolate bar at a time and your right he keeps his independence and because of the fact that he gets a bit of exercise I get some peace! Let's hope I continue to get peace!

I also want to extend this peace to you

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My Mum has type 1 diabetes so we have the issue of injections 4 times a day and what seems constant blood testing
Mum will pester and pester for sweet things even though she know it is bad for her, she has been in hospital as she can't seem regulate her sugar levels and we had to have the paramedics has her blood sugars had dipped to a dangerous levels and thought we were going to lose her.
Dad and I tend to be really strict and say she can't has sugary sweet things and have to suffer the aggression if she can't get her own way.
When her blood glucose levels are not within a safe range seems to make her Alzheimer's symptoms more pronounced
Diabetes and Alzheimer's are not a good combination and not easy to manage

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Dear Little Circles,

As a family we are at war with diabetes, hearing loss and alzheimers. Dad doesn't mind talking about diabetes but in the past when we have mentioned his hearing his response was to get annoyed. We used to say try and get new hearing aids and go and see about your hearing and I believe this is partly responsible for his alzheimers. Therefore I believe that those people who have been given hearing aids need to be sent appointment reminders as if they were wearing glasses.

MaNaAk