Eligibility for CHC

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Please could anyone advise regarding CHC eligibility?

What are your experiences of gaining CHC?

Is a financial assessment still necessary?

Is there a maximum amount? Are top ups still payable if CHC is granted?

Any advice would be appreciated!

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
This is what confuses me. So if a chosen nursing home costs £1000 per week, the CHC would fund it? My understanding is that CHC has a maximum, for example £500 per week. If that's the case would the further £500 be the top up?
CHC fully funds care, but I would presume they would have some say in where the person is placed.
The apprx £500 you quote is the Social Services limit on payments to Care Homes- completely separate.
Nursing Care is currently £159 per week if classed as needing nursing care but not qualifying for CHC.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
CHC fully funds care, but I would presume they would have some say in where the person is placed.
The apprx £500 you quote is the Social Services limit on payments to Care Homes- completely separate.
Nursing Care is currently £159 per week if classes a needing nursing care but not qualifying for CHC.

As lemonjuice says the care is fully funded and there are no limits, however, the NHS has to find somewhere that can meet all her/his needs as effectively, the NHS are in effect contracting out the care to the private sector to free up an NHS bed and as local authorities (in most of the country) no longer provide care like this it goes to private sector care homes.
There should be some consideration given as to being local for family and friends to visit and you should be able to pick somewhere you like the look of or keeping her where she already is but the reality may be different although as I understand your mum is already in care that might not as big an issue as someone entering the system.
K

Foresthill

Mar 5, 2017
CHC Funding

Please could anyone advise regarding CHC eligibility?

What are your experiences of gaining CHC?

Is a financial assessment still necessary?

Is there a maximum amount? Are top ups still payable if CHC is granted?

Any advice would be appreciated!

My mother who has vascular dementia was fast tracked from Hospital onto fully funded CHC. Your have to meet certain criteria, cognitive, continence, mobility etc are all taken into account. We were offered a choice of three Nursing homes for her and went to visit each one, and chose the one we thought was most suitable. Two were fully funded by NHS and one would have charged a small Hospitality fee. There was no financial assessment. She has now been in the Nursing home for 16 months and has had to be re-assessed every six months for the free care funding.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
At least some CCGs have a limit of e.g. £800 and require a top-up if fees exceed their amount. This is unlawful but it is happening all over the place.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Is there a maximum amount? Are top ups still payable if CHC is granted?"

CCG have a maximum they will pay for any particular level of care.

The official line on top ups is:-

No, it is not possible to top up NHS continuing healthcare packages, like you can with local authority care packages.
The only way that NHS continuing healthcare packages can be topped up privately is if you pay for additional private services on top of the services you get from the NHS. These private services should be provided by different staff and preferably in a different setting.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/Pages/nhs-continuing-care.aspx

Increasingly care homes are refusing to accept the amount CCGs can afford and the rules for top ups are being liberally interpreted.

I know of cases where top ups are being paid ranging from a strict religious dietary requirement to non medical luxury features being costed separately even if the resident is unlikely/unable to use the facilities.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathy T