Dementia and diabetes...

carrieboo

Feb 1, 2016
herts uk
I was reading about some AD research recently, apparently in the US there is a faction of the medical profession who are starting to refer to AD as 'type 3 diabetes'. There appears to be a growing connection between dementia and diabetes.

My mum was diagnosed with type 2 in 2007, we noticed signs of memory loss about 5 years ago. However, she is in complete denial that she has either diabetes or 'memory problems'. She can still take herself up the local shop and her fridge is stuffed with trifles, apple pies, chocolate oranges (a favourite) and fresh cream cakes. Even if I surreptitiously empty it she just re-fills it so I'm at a bit of a loss.....:(

reddollyfood

Apr 28, 2015
Hello Anne. My husband was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes years before dementia. However in the nursing home where he spent his last 2 years, there were a number of residents with diabetes as well as other dietary requirements. The chef and kitchen staff prepared deserts/cakes and biscuits suitable for these residents so no one felt left out. I assumed that all nursing homes had similar arrangements which were in the residents' care plans. It might be worth raising it with your husband's social worker if the nursing home can't provide suitable meals for diabetics.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago. I got my dementia diagnosis 3 years ago. The mention of a link between the 2 is the first I've heard. The docs have spent loads of time trying to work out why I had a mild stroke that seemed to trigger the dementia...and they can't work it out.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Talking Point mobile app

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
diabetas strock kno vascala dementia

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago. I got my dementia diagnosis 3 years ago. The mention of a link between the 2 is the first I've heard. The docs have spent loads of time trying to work out why I had a mild stroke that seemed to trigger the dementia...and they can't work it out.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Talking Point mobile app

my oh started with diabetes 33 year ago under control most of time till 25 year ago on insulin know had stroke 12 year ago diagnosed with vascale dementia last april docter said diabetes strock highe blood presha are all key facters

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
THANKYOU everyone for your thoughts and insights...all very interesting and helpful. Once again I get the feeling that this corner of England is a bit of a Third World when it comes to support after dementia diagnosis.

There is a diabetic ice cream available in our supermarket,perhaps that's what they give people in his Home. But he wouldn't ever have liked it, and now he also says it's too cold!

And I've been taking him grapes, and prunes in juice, thinking they'd be a treat, and good for everything.

Someone gave him a pretty F&M tin of chocolate macaroon biscuits, which I had to swop for crackers. I don't like them either, so the birds got them as crumbs..no wonder they sing so happily!

Dear Raggedy Anne,

My dad has been diabetic since 1987 and on a normal day his meals consists of the following:

1 Breakfast: Porridge. Potato waffles,mushrooms and tomatoes all grilled with one fried egg (he should have not two fried eggs because of the carbohydrates).

2 Lunch fish fingers or fish cakes etc and chips grilled plus salad. Sometimes we have no added sugar chocolate from Mr Simms Sweet Shop but there are quite a few health food shops that sell no added sugar chocolate. I have also bought no added sugar Easter eggs from our local health food shop.

3 Dinner a good square dinner is good but do watch the carbohydrates. Dad normally has canned fruit as a dessert but this must be in juice not syrup or light syrup. Fruit snacks are excellent and dad's biscuits are savoury but I am afraid that he has been going out to the shops and buying chocolate without looking at the sugar label. I have been finding the chocolate and throwing it away with his full knowledge. He can still go out and find his way home but short of me telling him off like he was a kid I feel I am doing all I can to look after his diabetes! I have reminded him where he can buy no added sugar chocolate and I have been to Mr Simms with him but I am fighting a brick wall. I realise that at some point I will not be able to let dad go out on his own but for now I am allowing him his freedom ( and I am trying to retain my own)!

Good luck and be aware that metformin can cause anaemia

MaNaAk

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The carbs in a fried egg are minimal - something like 2%. I really don't think a second fried egg would influence his sugar levels, though boiled is healthier than fried. I would concentrate on avoiding the chocolate instead of denying him more eggs as they are way healthier.