Desperate and don't know what to do

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
I guess it depends on whereabouts you live? NHS is such a postcode lottery.

Well done la lucia. You sound as though your Mum is very lucky to have you too. I think you're amazing.

Greycardi

Sep 26, 2015
Dear tryingmybest,
You poor thing - I am lost for words but just feel so, so, sad that you are having to go through this. You are doing everything possible for your Mum and I am so sorry that you are not getting a helpful or sympathetic response from the GP. My father was v similar about food and was only interested in cool and fizzy drinks at the end. However it was just not enough to keep him going. I will be thinking of you and your Mum over the next few days. Stay strong.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Ahh thank you Greycardi for taking time to respond. I'm thinking of you too as I know what a tough time you're having.

Good news today.......although Mums refused to get up for the second day (which is very unlike her), she has eaten half a cheese sandwich, a biscuit, a little bit of trifle and had a cuppa!! I'm so happy!

Greycardi

Sep 26, 2015
I am so glad to hear that your Mum has had more of an appetite today and has eaten a variety of things as well (all high energy things too)! She must be feeling better after that and so must you. I hope you rest easy tonight and stay strong for what tomorrow brings. GC

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Last year mum stopped eating, for no reason that anyone could see. Then, just when I began to think that we were reaching the end - she started eating again and she is still with us!

Life with dementia is a rollercoaster. Fingers crossed that your mum is on the up again. :)

kazzz

Mar 14, 2017
Demand the GP makes a home visit describe the rapid deterioration of your mother, she would be dehydrated and could be ill due to another infection and she deserves care and treatment like anyone else.This sounds appalling, he is negligent if he does not visit you or he can contacts and sends district nurses in to help you and assess what needs to be done further. You should not be left alone to deal with this without advice.
I would threaten you will make a formal complaint to the practice manager if he doesn't do anything.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
My elation was somewhat short lived

Yesterday was a lovely sunny day and Mum seemed a lot brighter in herself and ate a weetabix with some milk and half a cup of tea. I desperately needed to go into town after being stuck in 24/7 for days on end with Mum being poorly, and hadn't even left her to take the dogs for a quick walk in the back field, which I usually do whilst she watches a music DVD and dozes in her recliner in the afternoon. I asked her if she fancied going out in the sunshine and she agreed. We spent a couple of hours picking up some shopping and then had a coffee and eclair in the car parked up by the river and I can't tell you how much better I felt.

Today is completely different. Another day where Mum hasn't eaten anything, despite offering various different things. She's just disappearing before my eyes having lost so much weight and there's nothing I can do. I hate showering her now as her little body is so bony and washing her back and sides is like a cheese grater as all her bones are sticking out. It's just so awful and I haven't stopped crying. I think what made it worse was that I was expecting my fiance to have half a day off this afternoon but he was unable to as was behind on a job, so I was stuck indoors on my own again. I just felt so sad and isolated today. Mum is losing her speech a lot now but is becoming more and more vacant when I talk to her. It's so heartbreaking. I miss my Mum and I'm so lonely. She was due to have her hair done as she goes every week to have it washed and blowdried but didn't want to go today. I get 20 minutes to myself when she goes and normally do my food shopping quickly but must admit I would have worried about leaving her there today as she's looking so frail.

Don't know why I'm writing this or even if it's helped! I think sometimes the loneliness and hopelessness is just too much and tonight it's suffocating.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) TMB
Im glad you had a good day, but I can hear how hard you are finding it.
I have no words of wisdom, but send shed loads of empathy.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Thank you for the hugs and for the empathy. I know you have it so much worse than me as so many others Canary. I'm just feeling sorry for myself today. Hugs back. Xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camie93