Rhinos at the south pole

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
Laugh or cry?
OH had another assessment today. Rhinos now live at the south pole and ten past five is actually ten to three.
There has to be a smile in there somewhere.. ?? :rolleyes:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
That's why the ice is cracking obviously ........
[emoji23] [emoji23]
I know it's heartbreaking when we are faced with the evidence of what we know in our hearts is happening, but we avoid "seeing" as much as we can.

Sometimes, being determined to look for and seize any lighter moments can make a lot of difference to our outlook. Not that we're ever laughing at the person or their situation - but those things that we know would make them giggle too, if they understood. [emoji2]

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
Thanks LadyA and everyone else. It's sad, sad, and more sad. That's why I'm trying to see the funnier side!!

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
Well last visit to FIL he was asking WHY people sit in front of the telly & fall asleep [emoji42]. He said in his VERY loud voice only a stupid person would do that..... (a man sat next to the telly fast asleep & just for the record we nearly always find him fast asleep in front of the Tv!) He was very pleased to see his grandkids, I was a nice (dead) auntie.... He was the speaking Polish for a bit, then he told us he had been very busy going to work.... He also frequently asks for whiskey? Still it was another bonus day: to see him, hear his voice and hold his hand. We have learnt to appreciate it all!
Have a good evening all Mammamu & co x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
On Sunday I set my mum up with Casper the Ghost on TV and some munchies and left her to it while I was in the next room. She can't follow plot lines but she seems to like kids films. Probably for the action and cute characters.

Suddenly I heard a thud and she was yeliing. So I asked what is the problem? She had thrown a small magazine at the TV and said in a loud irritated voice: "tell them to hurry up I want to know what happens next......"

I had to briefly leave the room for giggling. It was totally out of nowhere but I wondered if it was because she couldn't 'see' the ghosts.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Thanks LadyA and everyone else. It's sad, sad, and more sad. That's why I'm trying to see the funnier side!!

I know that it's so hard to see a partner or family member change so much but in my late father's care home I found I could deal with it more easily if I just tried to suspend my wordly comparisons and relax and go along with and around it.

I used to go wandering with some of the wanderers (it was a secure unit with a fab garden), waffle utter nonsense and play with people with the objects and toys that we found en route. I can honestly say that despite everything at times it was utterly delightful.

I became really fond of some of the residents in what was an incredibly special place.

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
I know that it's so hard to see a partner or family member change so much but in my late father's care home I found I could deal with it more easily if I just tried to suspend my wordly comparisons and relax and go along with and around it.

I used to go wandering with some of the wanderers (it was a secure unit with a fab garden), waffle utter nonsense and play with people with the objects and toys that we found en route. I can honestly say that despite everything at times it was utterly delightful.

I became really fond of some of the residents in what was an incredibly special place.

Sounds very pleasant indeed.
Strange how life changes! I never thought I would feel happy,relaxed and "free" in a care home, but we are now looking forward to seeing FIL's home & his new family....
Instead of focus on what everyone can't do anymore I try looking for what they can do.
[emoji854][emoji846]

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
On a sunny but chilly Glasgow morning yesterday I heard John chortle as we walked towards his day centre. When I asked what he was laughing at he said "They've got a Bank of Scotland here so I think I'll ask for a loan". Where do you think we are I asked. "Africa", he replied.

This was so extreme a location given our surroundings I had to think what could have triggered it. I then remembered him looking intently on the bus at a black lady with a very shapely bottom. She made a bigger impact on him than she will ever know.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
What a delightful tale Marionq!

It's true, time spent with a relative in a Care Home, after the turmoil of coping alone at home, can be relaxing, and after a while it almost feels like an unlikely family.

We're about to move my husband to a different place, but already they are so kind and welcoming that I'm sure it will be all right. Yesterday a friend and I popped in there with him, just for a cup of tea, and he must have felt reassured, as he introduced himself by name and shook hands in the old charming way that I haven't seen for over a year....

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
What a wonderful thread! You could write a book with that title- Rhinos at the South Pole - and fill it with the warm and funny stories that keep our loved ones loveable.
I once had to tell Jeremy Corbyn to get out of our wardrobe, and the little kid that comes into our room and swings on the light shade just won't be told! But my favourite was the time I woke up because hubby had clouted me on the back. The reason? There were some little piggies running up and down my spine, and he was going to get one of the little b**gers and make a bacon sandwich.

EG

MAMMYGRANNY

Jan 26, 2016
Earlie girlie,
Here in oncology ward getting cancer treatment - thank you - you & the little piggies just made my day!!!

Mammamu

Jan 10, 2017
Bucks
What a wonderful thread! You could write a book with that title- Rhinos at the South Pole - and fill it with the warm and funny stories that keep our loved ones loveable.
I once had to tell Jeremy Corbyn to get out of our wardrobe, and the little kid that comes into our room and swings on the light shade just won't be told! But my favourite was the time I woke up because hubby had clouted me on the back. The reason? There were some little piggies running up and down my spine, and he was going to get one of the little b**gers and make a bacon sandwich. [emoji38]

EG

Hi Early girlie,
I love the piggies [emoji200] story!
You managed to make me smile Thank you!
Wishing you sunshine,love & smiles [emoji41]
Mammamu [emoji202]

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
My mom "sees" ladies come out of the flats opposite sit in the garden and sometimes sing to her. Young men come out of the drains. I told her they were cleaning them out and she was very pleased but when were they going to get picked up as they were still there.

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
Early Girlie, I just love your piggies story. :D

Have just had a phone call from a relative-in-denial :p so it was the perfect antidote. x

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
My 'chuckle' the other night was husband coming downstairs in the evening with his pj trousers on. I said well done as I usually have to dress and undress him. I then took his cup of tea over to him and realised they were on top of his jeans. It took me 3 days to locate the matching pj top.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point