Seems so long ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Seems So Long Ago

As we turned the corner on the country road towards the garden centre, I put the radio on. Just starting to play was Mr Beau Jangles, one of my favorites. As I listened to how he had it all, how he sang and danced, and how, even now when all was lost he could still hear the crowd asking him to do more, I felt deflated as I realised how much we had in common.

My mind raced back as fast as light to a time where I would run into the disco, straight up to the DJ and ask for my favorite track (Whatever it was at the time) I remember dancing away until my feet hurt, only stopping for light refreshment and to wipe my brow. I had forgotten how much I used to love to dance, how free I felt as I expressed myself in a way only I could!! (there`s a clue there and how the youthful blood used to run through my body as I jived, bopped and Strutted my stuff to the tunes of the Top Twenty of the day !!

Then I came back to earth with a THUD!! I remembered my illness of Dementia and my inability to remember most things, how it had stopped me from expressing myself, how it had stopped me being independent and going out to work to provide for my family as I had done for so many years. As I looked down at my hands they where white! Not because I was so cold but because I had clenched my fists so tight and was so frustrated!!! Where has it all gone?? WHY ME WHY ME? Screamed through my head time after time, the noise in my head sounded like a platoon of marching soldiers as my blood pressure rose and just as I felt I was going to scream, we reached the top of the hill, and the view in front of me was ???

OUTSTANDING!!!\

I was looking up, towards Dartmoor, the rolling hills bathed in winter sunshine and yet tufts of snow were still visible right on the top of the highest hill. All around seemed so calm and surreal, and as I watched as the clouds cast it shadows across the moors only to be replaced by more rays of sunshine, as it did, I began to understand.
Those dark clouds I had just seen casting their ugly shadows across the lush green fields are just the same as the mood that had just passed through my body and mind, only to be replaced by the warmth and brightness of the sun that breathed new life into my body and hope in my heart.

“We cannot bring the past back my friends, but we can bring the future forward”

Norman Mc Namara (diagnosed with dementia 9 years ago aged just 50yrs old xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Please share if you wish

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Norrms, this blog post is over 4 years old. You have posted it on lots of social media groups. If you re-post old news, you should say that this was a day in your life back in whatever year. This will help people understand the progression of your illness better. Most people reading this post would think you are talking about the present day. Just an observation as I've noticed quite a few reposts popping up.

I love Bojangles too.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Whatever technology has done to your posts and whenever this was originally posted Norrms, I do hope that you still have dance now and then!

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Yes i do Hillbilly, sometimes i cannot write what i want to so i refer to my old writings to help me remember, looks like it helps Jancis as well, so pleased, no need for dates and times, just want to share my memories, thanks all xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
looks like it helps Jancis as well, so pleased, no need for dates and times, just want to share my memories, thanks all xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry Norrms, you are not helping me personally.

I think it would be more helpful Norrms if you could make it clear when you are reposting old memories. Communication is so difficult on the internet and things can easily get misconstrued. Your posts are often very emotional and it would be sad if people thought you had just been through something when in fact it was an experience from a few years ago. We all care so much or we wouldn't be here to try and give advice and support oneanother when they are in need. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
I am so sorry Jancis if i am not helping you with this, and if ever i can help in any way please just ask. I will continue to post my posts as i see fit my friend as many on here wasnt on when i first joined years ago and by sharing posts (or old ) posts 4 years on as you say) i will be hopefully helping those who havent seen it .
I have to ask ?

1. How did you know its 4years old ? (I didnt )

2. Did you trawl through old posts to find out

3. If so, may i ask why and for how long ???

4. And so sorry about this, but, have you nothing else better to do ROLF ROLF ROLF :):):):), i am sure you have xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you Kassy for your kind words, . as you know my point is i have dementia myself, in this day and age where we are told not to contradict if at all possible and go with the flow, and also i have posted it in a (I have dementia) Dementia page where things like this will quite obviously happen ?? Seems so very strange, someone i dont even know, would try and tell me what to do or not do ??

Anyway it takes all sorts and i have previously stated will always be here to help JanCis if they want me too, hope you are well Kassy xxxx

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
I am so sorry Jancis if i am not helping you with this, and if ever i can help in any way please just ask. I will continue to post my posts as i see fit my friend as many on here wasnt on when i first joined years ago and by sharing posts (or old ) posts 4 years on as you say) i will be hopefully helping those who havent seen it .
I have to ask ?

1. How did you know its 4years old ? (I didnt )

2. Did you trawl through old posts to find out

3. If so, may i ask why and for how long ???

4. And so sorry about this, but, have you nothing else better to do ROLF ROLF ROLF :):):):), i am sure you have xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have always been interested in your case history Norrms. I saw the “Beau Jangles” post and remembered it because the song is one of my favourites - especially by Nina Simone. You originally posted same in Jan 2013 on your blog and internet search took no more than 2 minutes. You signed it then Norman Mc Namara 2013 (diagnosed with dementia five years ago aged just 50yrs old xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do think that it’s more helpful to tell your story within the context of a timeline. I’m not telling you what to do just suggesting a more helpful way to communicate with your global friends.

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
Hello as conversation in this thread has run it's course and was heading in an unconstructive direction we've taken the decision to close this thread.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey