GPS Tracking Devices

Bettws10

Jan 23, 2017
My mother has mid to late stage dementia and can occasionally wander. This has happened twice so far but fortunately she hadn't gone too far and we found her within the hour.
We've had suggested getting a GPS tracking device to fit to her handbag as she always takes this with her.

Has anyone tried and can recommend a particular GPS system.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband's wandering was serious two years ago. We used his simple mobile phone to keep contact with him but then he didn't answer it. We bought a GPS tracker for £200 which sent a signal back to my phone and to my daughters. It was good but he took to getting on any bus which came along and so we would be chasing him all over the city. The police picked him up many times and sent in reports to SS. The latter agreed to part fund a care home for his own safety. However we have managed to delay that by increasing his daycare which he enjoys and also increased Trazadone.

The tracker may be necessary but is a temporary solution. Hopefully the wandering is temporary too.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You're right CW but two or three years ago I didn't have my iPhone and John had only the simplest of mobiles. The tracking is getting better all the time. The main issue is for them to always carry whatever technology you adopt.

Hill Man

Apr 10, 2016
Mid Wales
I found my dad was happy to carry a phone that's easy to track via a web page - even though he had lost the ability to use the phone

The GPS box that we tried him with he didn't like because he didn't recognize what it was so he would just throw it away

peachstone

Dec 5, 2015
West Oxfordshire
The GPS box that we tried him with he didn't like because he didn't recognize what it was so he would just throw it away

Same here. We got devices to put in FiL's wallet and whatnot, as he would hide them and then forget where they were. He'd come across them and say 'Hello, what's this?' and remove them, so the devices were useless.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
An idea I've seen mentioned is to sew the tracker into the lining of a handbag or coat. Of course, that's only helpful if the PWD takes the item with them.

jakiflora

Sep 26, 2014
We bought a GPS tracker for Mum who could wander miles from home night and day. Found it fairly useless because it needed charging so often and couldn't guarantee she would take it with her.