Happy

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
I am feeling very lucky at the moment. Mum is 15 months into diagnosis. We had 9 terrible months when she was on medication but her mood has been much better for the last four months. In fact, she is happier than she has been for years. Her memory is getting much worse and we are having to look after her more but she seems so content. Has anyone else experienced this?

SALSA67

Jan 9, 2017
Kent
Hello Happy

I am feeling very lucky at the moment. Mum is 15 months into diagnosis. We had 9 terrible months when she was on medication but her mood has been much better for the last four months. In fact, she is happier than she has been for years. Her memory is getting much worse and we are having to look after her more but she seems so content. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am new to this site too. Similar experience...the cantankerous independence replaced with a sweetness and humour, although confusion and memory are at their worst with my mum in law. We do still see flashes of the old personality though...interesting effects of the stroke on the brain I think, but just learning about all this at the moment.

teahound

Apr 19, 2013
My mum has also been much happier since developing Alzheimer's. She was diagnosed in 2009 but has often been described by doctors and social workers as pleasantly confused. She has had her moments of course, like when she has her pads changed, but it seems that any unhappiness is in response to something and not her general mood. I think in many ways it has made things much smoother than they might have been otherwise. She just seemed to forget her worries and respond positively to most things, especially music. She was even happy when she was in the early stages and her favourite brother died. A moment I was dreading, she just smiled and said oh well he had a good life. I know before she got Alzheimer's she would have never reacted like that and been so upset. Best wishes.

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
My mum has also been much happier since developing Alzheimer's. She was diagnosed in 2009 but has often been described by doctors and social workers as pleasantly confused. She has had her moments of course, like when she has her pads changed, but it seems that any unhappiness is in response to something and not her general mood. I think in many ways it has made things much smoother than they might have been otherwise. She just seemed to forget her worries and respond positively to most things, especially music. She was even happy when she was in the early stages and her favourite brother died. A moment I was dreading, she just smiled and said oh well he had a good life. I know before she got Alzheimer's she would have never reacted like that and been so upset. Best wishes.

Thank you for your reply, my mum also loves her music. I hope this lasts mum seems so content at the moment. Best wishes to you X

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
I am new to this site too. Similar experience...the cantankerous independence replaced with a sweetness and humour, although confusion and memory are at their worst with my mum in law. We do still see flashes of the old personality though...interesting effects of the stroke on the brain I think, but just learning about all this at the moment.

Thanks for answering. Same with mum, her short term memory is very poor but she smiles and laughs all the time. Best wishes to you x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5