Please advise - mum has stopped eating again

wholenut

Dec 12, 2016
Ilford
Hi
My mother is 82 years old and in the advanced stages of Alzheimers. She has been placed on a puree diet as had not been able to swallow for some time now. She was recently admitted to hospital because she was severely dehydrated and placed on an IV drip for over 3 days. She started eating pureed food but we were warned to expect more of this until eventually she stopped eating altogether.

The hospital was suggesting that at this stage we could make a decision to keep her at home and watch her starve to death. I insisted that she returns to hospital as we cannot stand by and watch her simply being starved to death. I know its no better in a hospital and sorry if I annoy anyone who thinks I am a bed blocker but surely she would be entitled to some pain relief in her final days and better off in a hospital or hospice?

I am tormented by the thought of her slowly starving to death and the pain this may cause her in her final days. I have read this on the internet regards starving:

"Dr. David Stevens, the president of the Christian Medical Association, also explains the inhumane process of death by starvation and dehydration. Stevens said, “I have seen hundreds if not thousands of patients with dehydration and some of them so far gone, that despite resuscitation attempts, they died. As dehydration begins, there is extreme thirst, dry mouth and thick saliva. The patient becomes dizzy, faint and unable to stand or sit; has severe cramping in the arms and legs as the sodium and potassium concentrations in the body goes up as fluids go down. In misery, the patient tries to cry but there are no tears. The patient experiences severe abdominal cramps, nausea and dry-heaving as the stomach and intestines dry out.”

He concluded by saying that patients who die from starvation and dehydration have cracking skin and lips and their tongue swells. As mucous membranes dry out and break down, patients suffer from severe nose bleeds. Does that sound like a “peaceful way to go” as Schwarz claims?"

Any advise would be most welcome as would your experiences and suggestions.

Kind regards

Wholenutx

Last edited:

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello wholenut, may I first say what a distressing and upsetting situation you are having to face with your mum, I feel that maybe the hospital could have had a more kind approach, and do feel that your mum deserves 24/7 medical care,which would be very difficult to apply at home, as for the Internet views,they can make your brain go into overdrive and although may be factual, only add to the guilt we feel when end of life is near, your mum deserves the last days of her life to be peaceful, as you need to feel peaceful and resigned that mum may have given up her fight,and her poorly broken brain needs to have a final rest, thoughts are with you.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Consider this....
Has she stopped eating because she is dying?

or

Is she dying because she's stopped eating?

Its probably the first, and when the swallow mechanism goes it because you are slowly shutting down.

My mum stopped eating about a week before she died- Yes her lips were dry, but certainly didn't see anything like what is described above.

Diffficult times xx

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im sorry wholenut - I hear your distress.
I could be facing the same situation with mum at any time - she has already had 3 chest infections this year. Your mum could go on a long time with being fed pureed food, but in the final stage of dementia they stop eating altogether.

Please note that this is not the same as starving to death. The piece that you have quoted is what happens when ordinary, healthy people starve to death, but the final stage of dementia is when they are actually dying and their body is finally closing down. This stage can unfortunately, last several days and, during this time, the body is unable to assimilate any food so feeding them can actually cause pain. This is why food should be offered (in case they havent actually reached this stage), but not forced.

Most palliative (end of life) care - whether in hospital, hospice, care home or where ever will sort out pain relief, so do not worry about that side. They should also clean her and turn her regularly. She will not just be left.

With dementia you do not know when this will happen. I have twice this year been told that mum is at the end and then she has started eating again - its a roller coaster. But one thing I do know is that eventually mum will pass away.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I had an aunt who began to refuse food and drink after the umpteenth UTI. She was nearly 87 and had advanced Alzheimer's. The decision was made (between relatives and GP) not to take her to hospital, since it was felt that it would be distressing for her to be in a strange, probably noisy, place and be poked about by strangers. The GP said that the care home staff would keep her comfortable. (I had asked what he would do if it were his much loved aunt).

I sat with her a great deal. Staff continued to offer food and drink, but she clearly did not want any of it - she would close her mouth and turn her head away. They did not push or try to force it. Her mouth was kept moist with little sponges.

She was sleeping most of the time, and did not seem to be in any pain or distress at all. She slipped away quite peacefully about a week after the decision to keep her at the care home was made.

Someone else has mentioned it, but it was a doctor who said, 'They are not dying because they are not eating and drinking. They are not eating and drinking because they are dying.'
Of course this will not invariably be the case, but I do think there sometimes comes a point where the person has simply had enough, and if the body is starting to shut down then I gather that food and fluids may actually cause discomfort, rather than alleviating it.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
When my mum died last year (not Alzheimer's or dementia related) she caught hospital pneumonia and after 2 weeks trying to save her, it was decided to let her go. It took 4 weeks in total. She would not be fed and pulled out the feeding tube twice. So for 4 weeks no food at all, she was kept on a saline drip for 3 weeks, the last week she had nothing, then passed away..... she died from the pneumonia, however food and water at this stage did not affect her, no pain, slept most of the time, she did not appear to suffer at all, apart from not being able to breath which was not relative to the lack of food and water.... she was very peaceful in that sense.

Good luck to you, it's very hard!! X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
I'm not sure where you got the Christian Medical Association bit, but I find that to be inflammatory and not factual information. Chemmy has kindly provided the link I would send you to for more realistic and balanced information. As others have said, the dying cannot process food, and force-feeding or rehydrating can actually be painful. I do suggest you contact Hospice, as they will know how to deal with any discomfort, if any.

wholenut

Dec 12, 2016
Ilford
Thankyou

To all who posted responses thank you. I am new to this site and have found your kindness and advice very comforting. I am going to phone SS again tomorrow and try and get them to do an assessment asap. I want mum to be as comfortable as possible if she is now leaving us.

wholenut

Dec 12, 2016
Ilford
Update

Mum passedvaway at home on 24th December after refusing food and drink for over a week. I am so glad i joined the forum because your advice was invaluable and i knew what to expect. We raised over £210 for Alzheimers society jnstead of flowers. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Wholenut, I'm so sorry to hear your news. Please accept my condolences. How thoughtful of you to donate to the Alzheimer's Association in memory of your mother.

Greycardi

Sep 26, 2015
So sorry to hear about your loss wholenut. All the best to you and your family.

We are going through something similar. Dad generally refuses most food apart from porridge in the morning. he drinks a fraction of what is needed and has been sleeping most of the time since September. However he was taken into hospital last Tuesday night and after being rehydrated he is alert, and spoke and drank a lot today.
I don't know what to think, whether to view it as neglect by the nursing home or Dad naturally not wanting to eat or drink because he is dying. So difficult.
I do know he hates those fortisip drinks and has his own favourite drinks instead so we keep trying with those.
All the best.

Last edited:

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
So sorry to hear about your mum wholenut. It's good that she had such a caring daughter, and she is at peace now.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5