Mum has declined very suddenly - not sure what to do!

birdybird

Sep 20, 2016
Hi! Apologies of you've seen my similar thread on young dementia board but wanted as much as advice as possible.

A little bit of background:
My Mum is 58 and has a long history of bipolar, epilepsy and historic alcohol abuse (sober for 2 years). Over past couple of years her memory has clearly been deteriorating and it is likely she has Korsakoffs (alcohol induced dementia) but this never seems to have been officially diagnosed, although her GP and psychiatrist etc accept she has this. She has had several hospital admissions this year for fitting and this seems to have lead to a much sharper decline in her memory. I am her next of kin but am live over 4 hours away. Our relationship is very strained as growing up with her wasn't exactly rosy and my own mental health is pretty fragile...

A friend and her neighbour have been unofficially caring for her, helping with shopping, organising appointments etc but this is now breaking down due to the events of the past week..
She is being increasingly aggressive - has gone round asking them to e.g. go to shop for her and then shutting, swearing, banging etc when they have declined (because they'd already got some bits for her!) She has accused the male neighbour of assaulting her - not true! They have young children and have said they no longer feel safe having mum come to their house when the children are there.
Has had paramedics out at least 3 times (she has a carline button for epilepsy)
She has burns from where she has dropped cigarettes and apparently has singed her hair somehow
Has been withdrawing HUNDREDS of pounds from her bank account and then going to local post office to aggressively accuse them of stealing from her. I have no idea where this money is going but she is serious debt.
They've heard her shouting and swearing through the wall

The Dr has been out to her (as she refused to go to surgery) and has said 'her mind is shot to pieces'. She would not go voluntarily to hospital and he said he wouldn't section her - though I wonder how much worse she has to get to be forced into hospital?!

Can anyone please give me some step by step suggestions of what I should be doing? I spoke to her GP on Friday evening - he is going to re-refer her to social services. I spoke to emergency social service number, they are going to start a referral on Monday. I composed an email highlighting the clear safeguarding issues and sent it to everyone I could think of (local mental health team, social services, memory clinic etc) - although obviously no-one will see this until Monday. Is there anything I can do?

It is clear she can't continue to live alone but I don't know what the next step is. She cannot come and live with me and I cannot afford to fund care for her. She owns half of her house, other half is in my name (and has been for many years). Thank you in advance for any advice or hand holding you can give!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp