Kylie sheets and best inco pads for men

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hi, a friends FiL has MCI and a recent series of ops for prostate and bladder wall cancer.

He does have in pants inco pads but has issues with leakage from the top of the pad and subsequent wet beds which, understandably, cause distress.

Never needed /used Kylie sheets with Mum when she was at home and obviously there are anatomical differences for the inco pads so would appreciate any info on best versions of both and also any info on care (washing) and type / positioning of Kylie.

Thank you.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi. It depends on the extent of the incontinence. Pull-ups might be enough or you might need the "slips" type that are shaped but just fit into a close fitting pants. They work best if you get the special super-stretchy underwear to go with them, which holds them snugly in place.

As for the kylie sheets, I used them with my husband, and found the best way was to put them lengthwise under him! I used single size kylies, and tucked the "wings", one up under the pillow and the other then was down by his feet. The most important thing with washing the kylie sheets is to make sure you are not using any fabric softener - or a detergent that has softener in it. If you do, the kylie sheet will stop being absorbant, and the urine will just run off it, and onto the mattress! I also got chair pads in the same type of fabric (comes in different colours) for armchairs and car seat in case of leaks. If you take a look here: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/continence-care/ I ordered all our stuff from this company. They have an extremely good range, and if you phone them, I found them really helpful. Also, as your friend's FIL has a diagnosis of a condition, they shouldn't need to pay VAT on such products - there's a part to fill in on the checkout form. Hope that helps.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hi, a friends FiL has MCI and a recent series of ops for prostate and bladder wall cancer.

He does have in pants inco pads but has issues with leakage from the top of the pad and subsequent wet beds which, understandably, cause distress.

Never needed /used Kylie sheets with Mum when she was at home and obviously there are anatomical differences for the inco pads so would appreciate any info on best versions of both and also any info on care (washing) and type / positioning of Kylie.

Thank you.

Hello Celia
I have similar problems as your friends husband ( but not cancer related)Bladder and Kidney damage )
I am doubly incontinent , but because my bowel problem is not constant the Continence Dept. will only provide me with pads and 'netty knickers
My experience maybe of some help
To ensure my needs I buy my pull ups from A ** UK and supplement these by using the pads provided by the continence dept
For my bed protection I have a waterproof under blanket and on top of that I use Lille Classic Bed Pads Size 90x 60 (35pack)
I use them length ways and they give me protection for the occasional leakage
Touching wood these precautions have been adequate
In saying that I should add something that amused me( but was good advice )
One of TP members when writing about a similar problem with her husband said
___"_but make sure IT's pointed in the right direction "and as a male user I can vouch for this good advice
jimbo

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Thank you Jimbo. I will copy this info to my friend and I am sure it will bring a wry smile.

On a serious note, isn't it good to have TP and people, like yourself, who are willing to share important nuggets of such information that can make a potentially significant difference to others.

Thank you ☺

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
I use 60x90 disposable Kylie sheets under the fitted sheet to protect the mattress, with an additional Kylie under him. He wears Tena comfort pads and Tena fix pants supplied by the incontinence service. Disposable Kylie sheets I buy from complete care shop at around £24 per 100 delivered, with extra Tena fix pants bought for £5+ for 5 pairs from ccs. I prefer disposable Kylie sheets as it reduces the volume of washing, as I wash the bedding daily because he wriggles around in bed and changes position, sometimes he turns across the bed or lays at the bottom with the duvet and bedding pulled around himself. So trying to predict where to site the kylies is difficult & ive sometimes had to cover the mattress in kylies to counteract his moves. The LA refuse dept have provided us with an additional 240ltr (general waste) wheely bin to dispose if the inco waste

Last edited:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
There is a site Kylie Kanga (I have no financial interest) that requires no VAT declaration if buying not for commercial use, they are much cheaper than site quoted above. :)

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
Just another typical day............ everyday.
This morning when arrived I was greeted by the sight of him sat on the edge of the (d'ble) bed in his damp inco pants & vest, in the night he'd stripped the duvet cover off which was now wet, and he'd wrapped the bare duvet around his legs while sat on the edge, the fitted sheet, associated mattress keeper, & Kylie sheets where in a ball in the middle of the bed. Whatever wasn't wet soon became wet due to contact with stuff that was.
So it was a case of getting him to sit in his chair at the side of the bed, while I cleared the area, strip him down (vest & inco) then get him into the bathroom before getting him to climb into the bath so I could shower him down, before returning to the bedroom and dressing him. All while intermittently stripping the bedding & throwing it down the stairs to be washed, bagging the inco and kylies, wiping down the waterproof mattress cover, and proceeding to remake the bed with fresh linen. He now sat in his chair downstairs asleep, with half eaten breakfast beside himself.