Advice on wandering at night

Practice

Jun 3, 2013
Does anyone have any advice about how to stop my oh from going walking at night in the dark and bad weather. He seems to be unable to settle in the house at night and despite me asking him not to go out just goes. He has recently been provided with a tracking system which does help my anxiety level a bit but I am very worried when he goes out like this.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hello Practice

Sorry I have no answers to offer but wanted to bump up your post so that others who have experience and knowledge of ways to deal with PWD wandering will post suggestions.

My OH has been is poor health for a long time and was housebound before Vascular Dementia became the major problem that it is nowadays. He is physically incapable of going out wandering - hasn't been upstairs for over 11 years.

Lilac x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Does anyone have any advice about how to stop my oh from going walking at night in the dark and bad weather. He seems to be unable to settle in the house at night and despite me asking him not to go out just goes. He has recently been provided with a tracking system which does help my anxiety level a bit but I am very worried when he goes out like this.

What happens if you don't allow him access to go outside? My mum is a wanderer, although not as bad these days and only during the day. Because we live in a rural area I have had to put a lock on the garden gate and then mid afternoon I double lock the front door, I just cannot give her that 'freedom' to what eventually could be a very bad fall or get hit by a car.

Practice

Jun 3, 2013
What happens if you don't allow him access to go outside? My mum is a wanderer, although not as bad these days and only during the day. Because we live in a rural area I have had to put a lock on the garden gate and then mid afternoon I double lock the front door, I just cannot give her that 'freedom' to what eventually could be a very bad fall or get hit by a car.

If I lock the door he gets very upset and verbally aggressive and I don't feel I can stop him

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello pratice, l had the same problem with my husband when he lived at home, l would not let him out lock the doors, he did get very angry, but never threatened me, l told the Dr at the memory clinic, he prescribed promethezine they are calming pills, they did help, but he still wandered around the house most of the night keeping me awake. it would not be safe for your husband to be let out at night, mine could not find his way home in daylight, would have been a disaster at night.