Dry skin

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
Mums skin is very dry ,any suggestions for good moisturiser? Doesn't have a bath only a shower room. TIA

elvismad

Jan 8, 2012
try double base - its very good for dry skin and absorbs easily - no perfumes so very kind.
available from chemists over the counter in a large pump dispenser.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I had Dermol emollient cream prescribed for psoriasis. However, I prefer Aveeno cream, which comes in a 500ml pump bottle. For me, this seems to sooth the itching of dry skin much better than Dermol does, and it leaves less of a greasy residue.

Very dry skin can be a sign of vitamin deficiency and insufficient good fats in the diet. My MIL developed very dry scaly skin on her legs when she lived at home alone and we were struggling to support her with adequate nutrition. Over time, with good regular feeding in hospital and then in a CH, she now only has the sort of dry skin that is common to older people, not the horrible lizard skin that she had before. :(

bumblefeet

Oct 25, 2016
Hydromol is very good, but better as part of a whole skincare regime. My mum has it put on once her legs have been washed, and then she has blue line stockings on. The skin looks very dry and scaly once it has dried, but it's in fact the Hydromol, and the skin is much better underneath. Definitely as part of a routine though.

I must add, my mum had a bad reaction to Dermol, but has used Doublebase with great success on her arms.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Mum's skin was dry and itchy and the district nurse prescribed her Aveeno cream. She already has Doublebase and Oilatum cream.

By the way, you can get Doublebase on prescription too. Mum washes in Oilatum with Conti wipes.

eddiesgirl

Oct 22, 2012
Midlands
Another vote for Aveeno. I get the lotion for daily use on Mum's arms & legs and her skin's now in better nick than mine.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Mums skin is very dry ,any suggestions for good moisturiser? Doesn't have a bath only a shower room. TIA

My carers ( ( Care Package prescribed ) use Aqueous Cream for washing ( No soap)
and Cetraben Dermological Cream for dry skin
leaves my skin well nourished ( like a babies bum )
jimbo

Last edited:

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
My daughter has eczema so I know of some of these products but wasn't sure if suitable for elderly. Thank you

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
Another vote for Aveena here. Prescribed by the doctor for my MIL and I've started to buy it now.....

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
We got Doublebase, Liquid Paraffin and various soap substitutes prescribed by the GP, so go and see a doctor before shelling out money!

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
Definitely will get prescription off Dr . Due to see her soon so I'll get something just for meantime. Thanks