Desperate for tips and advice

Brierton

Oct 29, 2016
My darling 91 yr old mother has started refusing drinks and food. She had a chest infection and she's doing it all the time now. Plus spitting out her tablets or choosing them and or spitting them out. I am at my whitts end in desperation. She may soon be dehydrated . Help

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
Do you look after your mum or is she is a care home.

The nursing home my mum was in had to covert her medicine into her drinks or food, either liquid meds or crushed the tablets. You can ask the GP to prescribe liquids or get a tablet crusher.

Also she can be prescribed Enusre Plus or Ensure Compact drinks which contain vital vitamins and minerals.

My mum would eat custard, jelly, anything that would slide down but would not eat anything with bits in.

Worth a try.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Is she on AB (antibiotics) for chest infection? If she spit one AB pill it may not work. So GP need to be informed.

Brierton

Oct 29, 2016
Monday struggle

I looK after my.91 yr old mother alone. Have done for years. This not swallowing food n drink.has just started. Over the last 10 days I've begged bribed pleaded and limped my way to now. However I'm worried she is going to get dehydrated as her eyes look a bit sunken. Anything I can do to stop it getting worse today. Apart from getting sips from a water cup and dips from ensure cup I'm struggling and I don't want to see her collapse.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Brierton
10 days is quite some time
it may be that your mother's swallow is affected - ask for a referral to the SALT Team (Speech and Language Therapy) to assess her
call her GP and/or District Nurse today, mention not taking in liquids and not taking her meds

it may be that thickening drinks may help

you can make ice lollies by freezing juices in plastic containers with a stick in
eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faringdon-Collection-17840855-Lolly-Maker/dp/B0012DQQ8O
and, yes, they are to lick/suck slowly

Last edited:

Brierton

Oct 29, 2016
I've managed to get porridge choc bickie's banana in but it's just the last weekend that stopped

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((hugs)))
Have you talked to the doctors about this?
Mum has stopped eating and drinking 3 times this year and then each time has bounced back. However, stopping eating and drinking can be a sign of the final stage as the body is closing down. You really do need to talk to the doctors. Has the chest infection gone now?