Phantom pain

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Hi all

Today mum was going mad to call 111 because of shoulder pain. I gave her Oramorph got the pain about midday and it seems to be kicking in now. Is this osteoarthritis or dimentia. eg Is it real or all in the head? She seems placated after speaking to a nurse at 111 or is the oramorph starting to kick in. Its so difficult to tell but I know the nagging to ring 111 gets worse. Anyone else experience episodes like this?

Tim

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Who Knows? Unless you are medically qualified its hard to judge.

Given that she has prescribed Oramorph, I guess she has quite severe pain, if Oramorph doesn't sort it maybe then you need further assistance

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Difficult to work out what's what. My mum does have genuine pain in particular areas and for that the painkillers are given, but sometimes she complains of pain in the oddest areas and insists I take her to the hospital or ring the gp. One time she told me her nose was hurting and I could not work out why, but she wanted me to take her to the hospital. My mum has no problems/fear of any medical stuff, in fact she looks forward to it. I have to put some of it down to her dementia.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have you tried any of the super strong pain killers that you got from the doctor?

Choose from vitamin pills, aspirin, supplements,...but check first they are not contraindicated with any other medication or any condition she has.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Phantom pain usually refers to pain from a limb that is no longer present. My husband suffered badly from it after his leg was amputated. People with dementia do seem to react to sensation more acutely and this can be to sound, touch, taste as well a to pain.

They often no longer have the means to withstand it either so react instinctively as a young child might. It's quite possible that your mother has some osteoarthritis as most older people do, so a checkup with her GP might be helpful and might reassure her as well.
Have you tried massaging the area with a pain relief gel. I use Voltrol 12hour gel. It might help and will soothe even if it is imaginary.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Phantom pain usually refers to pain from a limb that is no longer present. My husband suffered badly from it after his leg was amputated. People with dementia do seem to react to sensation more acutely and this can be to sound, touch, taste as well a to pain.

They often no longer have the means to withstand it either so react instinctively as a young child might. It's quite possible that your mother has some osteoarthritis as most older people do, so a checkup with her GP might be helpful and might reassure her as well.
Have you tried massaging the area with a pain relief gel. I use Voltrol 12hour gel. It might help and will soothe even if it is imaginary.

Doc has given her Ibuprofen gel which I applied and some liquid morphine, shes already on paracetemol 4x a day but it took 2 hours for the morphine to get the pain in her shoulder under control. Im trying to limit the morphine as I dont want mum addicted to it or drowsy all day, she said pain was coming back tonight so have administered another dose of morphine hoping she gets a good nights rest.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have to say that Ibuprofen gel doesn't help me much as it's not strong enough but Voltarol is more expensive, even the basic one, so it's unlikely to be prescribed by a GP.
If the pain is helped by liquid morphine then it suggests that it is real. I hope it can be alleviated.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Just a thought, but could a temporary intense shoulder pain be her interpretation of a symptom of angina? It might be worth keeping in mind the possibility just in case.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
james4152