Does anyone know of any tablet applications to engage my husband?

shbosh

Jun 29, 2016
My husband is refusing to go for any of the therapy sessions and he insists on staying at home. :(

He's got early onset and he does not appreciate sing-a-longs or other arts and crafts that I've gotten from my friends. :( Am looking for a way to help stimulate his mind, preferably on an ipad as he feels quite responsive to games on his ipad..

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hi,

This might be of interest:

https://myageingparent.com/section/technology/

There are two articles:

1. Top apps for the elderly
2. Top apps for people with Dementia.

There may be other articles in the Technology section which may be of interest.
My husband used to enjoy Scrabble on his iPad, but now he just plays Solitaire.

JigJog x

rizzlevix

Jul 28, 2016
I'm honestly not joking - have you thought of Pokemon Go?

You download it on your smartphone or 3g iPad and then go hunting pokemon using a radar. Once you catch them, you have to hatch them, which is sped up by walking/cycling/jogging with your iPad attached to you (uses the motion sensor) and it is incredibly silly fun. It's been enormously successful with socially shy kids/adults on the autistic spectrum, or because of anxiety and can be pretty addictive, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with someone -especially if they are struggling to join in with things that are specifically for 'old' people. Age can be a very subjective thing...my Dad's idea of a singalong is karaoke in the pub singing def leppard, so I can't imagine him joining in singalongs even though he's pretty bad already.

BOFOX1979

Sep 25, 2016
My husband is refusing to go for any of the therapy sessions and he insists on staying at home. :(

He's got early onset and he does not appreciate sing-a-longs or other arts and crafts that I've gotten from my friends. :( Am looking for a way to help stimulate his mind, preferably on an ipad as he feels quite responsive to games on his ipad..

Sorry to hear about your husband. We've never managed to get my Mum to go to anything at all so far, dating back to before she was diagnosed.

There are a couple of apps in trial which might be useful - 1) Book of You, which helps make a life story together. 2) Playlist for Life, for making music playlists together.

I've not tried either, and can't post a link as I'm under 10 posts, but if you google dementia citizens you should find them easily

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I do jigsaws. There are quite a few apps. The one I use allows me to choose between six to over four hundred pieces for each of the dozens of puzzles. They are all adult pictures covering many subjects.

The app. I use is called totally free jigsaw puzzles

Last edited:

BOFOX1979

Sep 25, 2016
There are also tonnes of games in lots of different categories of course, e.g. ticket to ride if he's into trains. If you give me a couple of ideas I'll happily recommend some.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
There is an app advertised on Facebook, called Mind mate which is suppose to be specifically targeted for people with dementia but I have never followed it up so have no idea if it is any good. Hope it's ok to mention it here but thought it might be worth a look.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
My Dad does tablet sudoku for hours

It does virtually give you the answer but he feels it is a logical continuation of the paper ones he used to do.

Ant smasher is quite addictive. You must kill ants that crawl down the screen but not the bees. You get points so you can chart your progress.

Our community arts therapist says that glass etching ...scratching patterns pictures on glass... is often enjoyed by men. Its better than a lot of the cutting out paper stuff that goes on.

You tube has some interesting drone captured videos ..good for visiting places that are familiar or you went on holiday together.