Paying for a funeral plan

Cheesecake4242

Apr 9, 2013
Would paying for a funeral in advance be considered as 'deprevation of assets' for the purposes of care home fees?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Most LAs allow them, but I think it is discretionary.

If buying one beware, not all funeral directors accept all plans and not all plans can be used by all directors.

Choose you director and ask about plans.

Cheesecake4242

Apr 9, 2013
Thank you for your replies. My Dad is about to go into a Nursing Home and will be self funding for about 30 weeks. If both Mum and Dad took out a plan it would make quite a difference to how much money Social Services can get their hands on. A difficult subject to broach with Mum; she is stressed enough as she feels she is putting her husband of 62 years 'in prison'.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I guess most elderly will respond to, you must have enough money for your funeral! There seems to be a thing about. It having enough money for ones own funeral!

Actiplay

Oct 15, 2016
Pre paid funerals

I guess most elderly will respond to, you must have enough money for your funeral! There seems to be a thing about. It having enough money for ones own funeral!

I am looking into prepaid funerals and feel that this will help my wife

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I am looking into prepaid funerals and feel that this will help my wife

Read the small print, as always. Some only allow certain undertakes to be used, some include only a hearse. One I read essentially said that they would arrive at the church, carry the coffin in, transport to the cemetery after the service, then leave. No other cars, no nothing without an extra charge, so as I say read the small print and see what you're getting for your money.
K