SaLT

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Has anyone had personal contact with a speech and language therapist? looking for information on video swallowing tests and any other routine tests they conduct for swallowing difficulties, thanks.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I have googled video on speech and language therapist and quite a few came up.

They came to my husband quite a few times but I was only present once. She held her fingers close to my husband's Adam's apple to check when he swallowed as I tried to feed him. As he was at the stage where he was not swallowing she suggested stroking the side of his adam's apple to try to get his reflex to work.

Hope one of the videos is of use.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hello Helen, sorry to hear about your tests. My hubby had swallowing tests after his stroke. I found this on the Stroke Association website, which details tests and therapy. Hope it may be of use X

http://www.stroke.org.uk/sites/default/files/F14_Speech and lanuage therapy_1.pdf

I also remember he had an outpatient visit where they sprayed some light anaesthetic into his nose and then inserted a tube to look at the back of his throat. He said the procedure was ok.

Last edited:

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Well still awaiting SALT appointment, but been back to Maxiofacial and between us all we think we know why I am choking when I eat.

It seems that after the original operation which left me with a graft at the base of my tongue and one side of my throat, when later they removed my bridge it is now allowing food to collect on that side of my mouth so unbeknown to me it is getting stuck!

Still need the SALT assement but also need to see my dentist to make a plate to try and put what is left of my tongue in a better position.

Eating in company is scary and embarrassing, but choking is not good either, especially in the car when you are driving, so eating in the car is banned!

They have reassured me that otherwise all looks fine.

Thanks to yo all for your support. xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Oh heck Helen - not what you need.
Mind don't forget that you need not be embarrassed amongst good friends should this happen when you are eating with them.

I hope your dentist can help so that you don't need to choke over food at all.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't know how I missed this Helen. I'm so sorry you are having these problems. It never stops, does it.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I hope you get this sorted quickly Helen.
I agree with Jan that good friends will understand if it happens & help you.

Last edited:

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Well still awaiting SALT appointment, but been back to Maxiofacial and between us all we think we know why I am choking when I eat.

It seems that after the original operation which left me with a graft at the base of my tongue and one side of my throat, when later they removed my bridge it is now allowing food to collect on that side of my mouth so unbeknown to me it is getting stuck!

Still need the SALT assement but also need to see my dentist to make a plate to try and put what is left of my tongue in a better position.

Eating in company is scary and embarrassing, but choking is not good either, especially in the car when you are driving, so eating in the car is banned!

They have reassured me that otherwise all looks fine.

Thanks to yo all for your support. xx

That seems a dreadfully long wait for your SALT appointment, Helen. :( I wonder if your GP could speed things up for you?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
And there was me thinking you were turning into a hamster :eek: :(

Seriously tho.... Hope that salt appointment comes through very soon. I guess going through your own dentist and not one at the hospital would be quicker re the plate ????

Hugs and snuggles xxxxxx

Edited: next time we meet you can always practice exercising your tongue by pointing it at me :D xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey