NH cancelling a DoLS???

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I am moving Mom from her current NH (Dementia authorised) tomorrow after discovering that she has been abused by 3 separate staff members on multiple occasions.

There is lots I cannot say for now but just that if your PWD changes suddenly or has a continual dislike to a particular carer do not just dismiss it as part of the disease. It may be just that, but do investigate all the possibilities first.

Apart from the 3 involved there are others that should consider a career change but the problem is solely down to management/owners who no relevant experience and the other managers they employ who do no supervision.

Yesterday Senior Nurse said she had cancelled the DoLS. I have never heard of such a thing and from what I have read when Mom moves the current Dols just expires and the new NH applies for another. Simple stuff. But she said it was because if Mom refused any care they could just back off. Strange this was just one day before the move and I do not think this is what a DoLS is for.:confused:

Anyone any experience of this?:(

Bunn28

Aug 16, 2016
Dols

Dols usually end when a person transfers and the new placement will re apply. Why have they cancelled the Dols -that isn't correct

Last edited:

Poppyfields

Sep 12, 2013
I am so sorry to hear about your experiences with care homes - I can empathise.

Is DoLs the exact same thing as DOLS? Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards?

My gran had one on her for just the first 4 months of being in a care home - then nothing until another application over 15 months later

This despite the fact she'd been declared to have full mental capacity and yet remained on a locked EMI ward.

Just recently seen paperwork where the manager says she feels "uncomfortable" about taking my gran onto the EMI ward as she only needs residential care

Funnily enough we were saying the exact same thing, but no one responded to our concerns.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Thanks for the replies. The senior Nurse has now back tracked a little and says she has just amended it so that the carers do not take Mom's initial "NO" to food or personal care as an absolute refusal?:confused:

She seemed so good at first but has shown she really should not be anywhere near people who need care.

I moved Mom 2 days ago and so far she is doing well. Not refusing personal care and eating well.

The battle with the old NH is going to be long and bitter. Yesterday I went to collect some plants that I had put outside Mom's window. It happened to coincide with shift changeover;) and 2 of the suspended carers came out in uniform to go home. :eek:

Unbelieveable.:mad:

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I moved Mom 2 days ago and so far she is doing well. Not refusing personal care and eating well.

The battle with the old NH is going to be long and bitter. Yesterday I went to collect some plants that I had put outside Mom's window. It happened to coincide with shift changeover;) and 2 of the suspended carers came out in uniform to go home. :eek:

Unbelieveable.:mad:

Just ****???? Really?
But well done on moving your Mom.
I hope you can find the energy for a good battle! I do enjoy a good battle. Keep us posted.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Pete R
I'm really pleased to read that your mom is now in her new home and the signs are that she is settling, eating well, and that the staff are capable as she isn't refusing personal care - so I hope you too feel more settled and confident that she will receive the support she deserves - well done for organising the move

stunned to read that 'suspended' staff are working (can't think why else they would be exiting the NH in uniform) - a definition of suspended I haven't come across before
I wish you well with your battle and am so sorry that it will have to take energy and time you'd rather spend on your mom - you are, though, doing a major service for all the residents still in that NH as well as for your own mom

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi Pete R
I'm really pleased to read that your mom is now in her new home and the signs are that she is settling, eating well, and that the staff are capable as she isn't refusing personal care - so I hope you too feel more settled and confident that she will receive the support she deserves - well done for organising the move

stunned to read that 'suspended' staff are working (can't think why else they would be exiting the NH in uniform) - a definition of suspended I haven't come across before
I wish you well with your battle and am so sorry that it will have to take energy and time you'd rather spend on your mom - you are, though, doing a major service for all the residents still in that NH as well as for your own mom

Thanks for that. CQC, who cannot investigate till SS and Police have concluded their investigation, contacted the home today and confirmed that 2 had returned to work. They asked for a full report on the decision and any risk assessment that had been done.

There is now another complaint against a carer who has written Mom up as refused personal care when she never even asked her. There is much more but I have given myself a break from listening for a few days but there is more evidence of falsifying records and examples of one carer transfers.

I had been going into to feed Mom lunch almost everyday as she was being written up on many occasions as "refused". Today Mom was taken from the lounge back to her room for a pad check. She came back smiling whereas normally she is in distress, then wheeled into the dining room for lunch (the old home had a dining room but management refused to use it) and with only a little encouragement she fed herself.:eek: Everyone else had been moved by the time she had finished but was more than happy to stay on her own whilst she had her pudding, again feeding herself. I wouldn't be surprised if she is still there as she really has nothing to rush for.

It may be a one off but just to see it was fantastic.:)

The battle will go on for the other residents and for the abuse Mom suffered. I wouldn't be surprised if you soon read of a very similar story;) in one or two of the nationals.

:)