Savings accounts

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi, wondered if anybody could help with the following: need to set up some savings accounts for Dad to cover against the 75,000 pds allowance per each financial institution. Today has been a complete waste of time. Went to a well known BS explained the situation. I had COP deputy certificate, my passport, my driving license, utilities bill. They wanted ID for Dad?? explained he did not have any ID he has not had capacity for over 2 years. They then said they would need a letter from the NH with his address on. I explained that I was uncomfortable with this as I did not want any of his account details being sent there. Oh it will definitely only come to you they said. Now having dealt with financial institutions for the last two years they do not do as they say. Example they sent PIN number and card to Dads old address, a empty house!!! I have read the instruction letter myself and my understanding is totally different to the branch advice. I am no expert and I understand the need to verify identify but surely an official court document should surfice. Not happy at giving the NH address at all. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Last year 'different' BS set up deputy account in his name with me as named deputy using my address.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I had no trouble setting up a savings account for my mum with NatWest. They seemed pretty clued up and coped with our Scottish Guardianship Order even though the branch is in England. I was able to set up the account with a zero balance, then add funds online once the online access was enabled about a week later.

It was the issue of photo ID that was a problem with other BSs, but not required by NatWest. I think they might have required proof of her address, but I can't remember. I think they may also have sent her a letter confirming the new account. This may be a legal requirement re money laundering.

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Katrine, thanks for your prompt reply. I will certainly try Nat West. I do not understand if your name and address is on the official court document then why can the financial institutions not accept this?

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Pickles, thanks for your reply I have made an appointment for NatWest on Monday. I just feel uncomfortable with the NH address being on the system in case they send any documentation to them. Although I totally get that they have to verify the address. The BS I used last year just verified my address.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp