Advice please

Mango chutney

Aug 5, 2016
Mum had hip replacement Back home and she is the main carer Is there any help we can access as I am frightened to leave them as don't live nearby
Being with them this last week had made me appreciate how difficult it is for mum

tinytee1234

Feb 3, 2015
Mum had hip replacement Back home and she is the main carer Is there any help we can access as I am frightened to leave them as don't live nearby
Being with them this last week had made me appreciate how difficult it is for mum
Hi mango. Explain your situation to a social worker who can arrange to go round to speak to your parents. They can help organise a carer to go in and help or speak to their gp and explain as they to can offer you help and support. My husbands social worker is wonderful and explained all the options available to me to care for him. You must stress to them though that the support is needed now and is urgent due to your mums recent hip replacement as it can take up to 2 months for them to complete their assessments. They can offer emergency care/ support. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Mango chutney
was your mum discharged with a re-ablement care package in place - ie home care visits probably 4 times a day to make sure she can recuperate and not end up back in hospital? - this should last 6 weeks and may then lead to a permanent care package to support both her and your dad - she should also have OT and physio visits
if not see if you can contact the emergency Social Services and explain the situation, because she should only have been discharged if support was in place - use phrases 'vulnerable adults' 'at risk' and that SS have a 'duty of care' - let them know that she was discharged with no support and that they cannot cope and you CANNOT be with them as you do not live close and have to go home - don't let them think you will continue to care
if no luck because it's the weekend, make an absolute nuisance of yourself on Monday - call their LA's Adult Services, GP and anyone else you can think of eg their consultants
I hope you are all OK at the moment??
best wishes

Mango chutney

Aug 5, 2016
Adice

Thank you
No care plan was put in place although I voiced my concerns they said they would look into it but no use
It's as if they have to get on with it on their own

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I'm sorry, Mango chutney, I'm appalled

am I right - your mum was discharged after a hip operation so she is not fully mobile, she needs to heal and recuperate, she is the main carer for her husband who has dementia ... and "they would look into it" ????

really make a nuisance of yourself

it may help to have a talk with someone on the AS helpline
0300 222 1122 open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, and from 10am - 4pm at weekends

best wishes

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Mango, you HAVE been left to sort it out yourselves. This is appalling. One thing though.... If this was my parents in this situation my mum would have totally played down what she does for my dad and said she didn't need any extra help. Could this have happened? Of so please ensure you are around when the social worker comes round.
This is such a difficult time no matter what the reason. Really sorry this has been left up to you. Just know you have support on here x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5