Non starter

Dog5Body4U

Jul 10, 2016
Rochdale Lancashire
I don't know what we are going to do we took the MIL to a home today and mum was all smiles in front of the people and staff in the home but saying quietly to me"I ain't staying here and they ain't leaving me here I will run away"
That isn't the worst part of the day I had to do a couple of errands first thing so I had to leave my wife alone with her mum (I'd spent the night before with them both the MIL spent a lot of the night before bed stroking our dog) when I got back around 10am and walked into the MIL arguing with my wife saying she wasn't her daughter I managed to record the end of the argument because I was wondering if because mum can't always realise who is actually looking after her is she competent to pick a LPA
My wife has offered to let her sister be POA but she doesn't want the work but she wants to look after mums life insurance policies we are wondering if it might be better getting someone impartial to deal with deciding what to do to make sure the MIL is cared for please can someone offer a solution

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
Who is next of kin?
I have 2 siblings. I'm legal next of kin with POA. My siblings not involved.
Very suspicious that sister wants to look after like insurance but not POA.

Dog5Body4U

Jul 10, 2016
Rochdale Lancashire
?? Next of Kin

I always thought it was the eldest child who was the next of kin unless they were married or whatever but if that's the case it's going to be someone who doesn't live near here if it's whomever is eldest who lives near that would be my wife's sister does that mean that my wife's sister should be in charge??
That could be the best thing for my wife as she is running herself ragged and as for the insurance policies POA and any money my wife isn't interested in any of that she just wants her mum to get the best care possible
I am now starting to worry about the MIL being mentally capable to make decisions like who should be in control of her affairs because she was determined that my wife was not her daughter (she was convinced that she was her old friend who is dead)

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I find it odd that historically it is my eldest sibling who has the POA over my dad alongside my mum however now and for the last 5 years if asked her next of kin it is my name that is put down by my mum. I am the youngest of 3!!
Next of kin is who ever the person says it is whether related or not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp