Donezepil

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
Hi, I arranged for my mum to stop taking Donezepil as over 9 months of taking them she never seemed well. She has now been off them for two weeks and already I can see a massive improvement. Has anyone else experienced this?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Sort of. My dad's behaviour was very out of character on Donepezil so his dose was reduced and he's much more his old self again now. Less confused, less aggressive, - it caused more problems than it cured

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015
Hi, I arranged for my mum to stop taking Donezepil as over 9 months of taking them she never seemed well. She has now been off them for two weeks and already I can see a massive improvement. Has anyone else experienced this?

My Mum's been taking this since Jan 2015 but was reduced to 5mg from 10mg as the higher dose made her vomit. When you say 'never seemed well'. What exactly do you mean? I'd be interested to know as Mum feels unwell at times but not ill as such .

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016

Yes definitely. Reaction was negative immediately: almost complete personality change !

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Another vote for stopping it, my wife became significantly less aggressive and her continence improved too when she stopped taking it.
As the medical professions and particularly the pharmaceutical industry don't want to hear this then it's unlikely ever to be researched properly, that the innate belief some people have that taking tablets is always the cure whether they work or not.
K

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
My Mum didn't take to Donepezil either, it made her 'take to her bed' as I put it. A week after coming off the meds she was back to her previous energy levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
My Mum's been taking this since Jan 2015 but was reduced to 5mg from 10mg as the higher dose made her vomit. When you say 'never seemed well'. What exactly do you mean? I'd be interested to know as Mum feels unwell at times but not ill as such .

No, she kept saying that she felt like she had flu and wanted to stay in bed X

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
My Mum didn't take to Donepezil either, it made her 'take to her bed' as I put it. A week after coming off the meds she was back to her previous energy levels.

Exactly the same as my mum. Think it best if she stays off them now

Starter

Oct 10, 2015
Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel much more confident now in my mum not taking the tablets. Sometimes you have to go with what your instincts tell you xxx

Anita Mehdi

Jul 11, 2016
Negligence

My Mum was prescribed this by doctors who mixed her prescription up with my Dads! Was taking for over a year before I realised . Asked Memory clinic why Mun didn't have any checks or reviews like my Dad did and they confirmed that she was not known to them! She was taken off them, but a while later was put back on them. Was not sure if she did have early stage dementia or just old age , she's 86. Don't know what damage this error may have caused.

Azay28

Nov 21, 2015

That's a good way of putting it. I think maybe that's how it's affecting my mum so will definitely be looking into this further.

Rosie7

Oct 30, 2014

Hi
My dad was taken off Donezipil last year as at his 6 monthly review with the memory clinic it was found his pulse had dropped below 60 which is apparently a possible side effect. He was put on menatine and the pulse rate came up. He doesn't seem to have any other side effects with either. Not too sure if the menatine is helping in anyway but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm.