Finance and going into care

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
Hi, My FIL will be moving to a care home next week and I'm struggling to get clear advice on the finances. Thanks to the many TPs posts I understand the financial assessment he had when he got the carers package, at the time he had around £15500 in saving which ment he contributes £60 per week towards care costs.
I have been told he won't need another assessment when he enters the care home his payment will stay the same. :confused:. The social worker sent me a copy of the financial implications of going into care which I understand but she hasn't said anything about losing his pension, pension credit or AA. Do I have to let DWP when he goes into the home or will the local authorities do that? His savings have dropped to around £15000 so I know he will still have to contribute but what happens when he gets below £14000. Can I ask for another assessment? I have asked the social worker about this but she just said not to worry about it now.
Thanks for the help
Vera

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Your FIL is very close to needing the LA to take over the financing of the care. Your SW is wrong to say don't worry because worry you will until you know clearly how you will go forward.

I have no knowledge of the LA and how they get involved but I do know your LA will have a limit to how much they will contribute. Your FIL will contribute all his state pension and private pension unless he leaves a spouse in which case his spouse will be left with half the private pension. Attendance allowance will stop. Your FIL will keep approximately £24/25 per week of his pension for personal needs.

You need to know the difference between weekly cost of care in the home and the combined LA contribution plus pensions. The LA will deduct the pensions from their maximum and only pay the difference up to their limit. If this does not meet the weekly costs of the home then there are other things to sort out so knowing now what you need to know will give you time to make decisions.

So speak to the LA and see if another assessment is needed and ask them their limit, you need figures. If there is a shortfall between LA plus pensions and the care home weekly cost then you need to find out your options for covering this shortfall. If the LA suggest moving your FIL to a cheaper home then again you need time to get together your arguments for him staying where he is despite it being dearer than their suggestion. It all takes time and the more knowledge you have the stronger your position.

I am sure others with more knowledge and experience of the LA route will be a long to advise.

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
Your FIL is very close to needing the LA to take over the financing of the care. Your SW is wrong to say don't worry because worry you will until you know clearly how you will go forward.

I have no knowledge of the LA and how they get involved but I do know your LA will have a limit to how much they will contribute. Your FIL will contribute all his state pension and private pension unless he leaves a spouse in which case his spouse will be left with half the private pension. Attendance allowance will stop. Your FIL will keep approximately £24/25 per week of his pension for personal needs.

You need to know the difference between weekly cost of care in the home and the combined LA contribution plus pensions. The LA will deduct the pensions from their maximum and only pay the difference up to their limit. If this does not meet the weekly costs of the home then there are other things to sort out so knowing now what you need to know will give you time to make decisions.

So speak to the LA and see if another assessment is needed and ask them their limit, you need figures. If there is a shortfall between LA plus pensions and the care home weekly cost then you need to find out your options for covering this shortfall. If the LA suggest moving your FIL to a cheaper home then again you need time to get together your arguments for him staying where he is despite it being dearer than their suggestion. It all takes time and the more knowledge you have the stronger your position.

I am sure others with more knowledge and experience of the LA route will be a long to advise.

Thank you I have explained FIL situation to the care home and they have told me they will accept LA funding so I'm not so worried about there being a short fall but I would like the SW or finance department to explain more clearly. I don't want to phone DWP about his pension if the LA just get it transferred to them.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
You have no need to contact the DWP as the state pension is still paid to the person concerned.
Neither is it paid direct to the LA.
You will receive a monthly invoice from the LA denoting the amount owing over and above the LA contribution and the weekly allowance.
You, or whoever holds the LPA for your FIL, will then have to pay the LA from his funds.

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
You have no need to contact the DWP as the state pension is still paid to the person concerned.
Neither is it paid direct to the LA.
You will receive a monthly invoice from the LA denoting the amount owing over and above the LA contribution and the weekly allowance.
You, or whoever holds the LPA for your FIL, will then have to pay the LA from his funds.
Thank you for your help. It's a relief to have someone to turn to I would be lost without TP.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If he is already down to 15k then when he enters the care home the LA shoulders start funding his care immediately. He will lose AA and he will be paying his entire pension minus the PEA plus a tariff payment based on his savings over the 14250 limit. I suppose it's possible that the 60 is until they do a proper financial assessment, but I should warn you that it will not stay at that level.

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
If he is already down to 15k then when he enters the care home the LA shoulders start funding his care immediately. He will lose AA and he will be paying his entire pension minus the PEA plus a tariff payment based on his savings over the 14250 limit. I suppose it's possible that the 60 is until they do a proper financial assessment, but I should warn you that it will not stay at that level.

Thank you for your help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B