Meeting this week - confused!!

janwill69

Jun 2, 2016
South Wales
Hi. I posted a while ago about my mom who is 83 and has dementia. She has been in hospital for almost 2 weeks now after having a couple of mini strokes.
Her social worker is organising a meeting with my brother and myself but also with docs and pcn.
She has failed an assessment in hospital so I suppose this meeting will be about if she will be safe if she come home. What I was wondering is if they decide she can't go home what happens next and do we have a say in it? And also how long will it take to sort stuff out??
Just majorly stressed x

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Hi there
I had the same with my dad. He was in hospital for 6 weeks and one day I visited the hospital said there is no more we can do he needs to be discharged but he needs care so social services will call you. Indeed they did as hospital said they wanted him out in 48hrs. I met them with the discharge nurse and we went through a huge form detailing what dad could and could not do.
Social services decided to put dad in a rehab hospital for 6 weeks which seemed a good idea however he was getting no rehab and after 7 weeks I insisted he came home so social services came again and didn't feel he could go home unless certain things had been done like bed downstairs, stair rail, commode etc there so they arranged for an occupational health team to visit. They sorted out the bits and dad came home.
Then another social services person visited dad to arrange a care package. As he lives with me I took time off to settle him in however had I not they insisted the care package was in place first.
I would say if the hospital wants a patient out they contact social services pretty quick so that part a day then occupational health about 5 days. The care package was quick to arrange once they knew what he could or couldn't do.
Hope all goes well

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
I mean to add, social services were insistent dad went into a home but I said no. So they made sure of certain things like the care package and ot visit first

janwill69

Jun 2, 2016
South Wales
I'm getting scared and confused now. They are trying to get her a bed at what I think is a rehab place. But I know she is hoping to come home even though she doesn't like the house she lives in. She's lived in it since1987. She has sensors all over the house but they are pretty much useless. I know she won't be safe to go home but leaving social services to decide where she has to go etc scares me.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Have a look at the local care homes and check out their CQC reports. At least that way you will be further forward in choosing a place rather than one just being foisted up on you.

Bikingbint

Jan 18, 2015
Hi,
When my mother had to go into care via SS/LA I was given a booklet that showed all local care homes. I chose the home mum went into. I visited quite a few.

Some homes asked if I was prepared to pay a top up (to which the answer was no).

Mum is funded by the LA

Hope this helps

Bikingbint

janwill69

Jun 2, 2016
South Wales
Well my head is spinning!!! Just wish they will make up their minds about whether she can home or not. Her social worker has been away and is back in today so doubt anything will be arranged for this week. It's so frustrating!!!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum went into a CH for rehab/assessment for 6 weeks following a stay in hospital after a TIA. I too was worried about her going back to her own home where she lived "independently" and was really not coping. After the 6 weeks at the CH there was a Best Interest meeting with her GP, SW, CH manager and me. This meeting was done to decide when she would live afterwards - whether to go back home with a care package, the stay in that care home, or to move to a different one. I dont have POA for health and welfare (she wouldnt give anyone POA), but everyone still listened to my views. Mum no longer had capacity and everyone was in agreement that it would be unsafe for her to go home and she stayed in that CH - luckily it was a good CH and she settled there well.

You need to do your homework and decide where you would like her to live. You will also need to line up your arguments about why it would be unsafe for her to go back home. What does the CH and her GP say? Do they think that she would be unsafe at home?

janwill69

Jun 2, 2016
South Wales
Hi. The meeting we are waiting for is a best interest one. I have loads of questions so will be ready but I'm so nervous I'll ask them all the wrong way x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Write/type down all the questions you want to ask. Leave a space between each one which is room for you to write the answer. Don't be intimidated by them! You want the best for your mum!

janwill69

Jun 2, 2016
South Wales
Meeting has been put back till next week so that gives me some breathing space. Mom is waiting to be transferred to a small rehab hospital closer to home so at least it will be easier for visiting etc.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
dad was moved to a small rehab hospital too unfortunately they did no rehab other than a walk from his bed to the end of the ward. I queried this and they said after a week he didn't improve so they decided he never would
Now he's home he can climb stairs and walk to the end of the garden and back. Make sure they give the rehab the patients needs

janwill69

Jun 2, 2016
South Wales
Went to visit mom in the new hospital and she loves it!! She has her own room and ensuite wet room and also a cupboard and TV. She won't want to come home at this rate lol but they started the assessment this morning as there is a memory team on the ward. Hopefully it won't take too long x