Sorry me again... attendance allowance phrases, question and advise please

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Morning everyone :)

I have arranged my dads first care worker visit (well cleaner to him) :D.

The care Manager advised that I can now claim for attendance allowance, so I have downloaded the form, my god thats a beast of a form!!:eek::eek::eek:

I have read a lot of posts on the subject from you lovely people that know what they are doing and a lot of you mention the "phrases" and "wording" have to be correct.

Can I kindly ask for some examples please?

for example, he no longer washes his self, his clothes, his hair.

Does not clean his flat

I have a feeling he's wetting the bed, as the sheets were wet Friday when I changed his bed.

He cant change his bed.

He wears the same clothes day in day out

Cannot use any technology including the TV

Cannot understand what he reads any more

Cannot write

Cannot do any paperwork at all

Cannot wash his clothes

Cannot shave correctly anymore and is very hit and miss

I help him with shopping, food, milk, laundry, hair, the flat, cleaning, paperwork etc etc

I am ringing age uk tomorrow for advise.

but would love some advise from those that have claimed, I hope to get the lower rate, which I will use to pay for his carer "cleaner" :D

sorry for asking lots of questions recently, I just want to get this all sorted out and get this claim done correctly for him.

I will be doing it on his behalf as his POA. I have told him I am going to try and claim and he likes the idea as it saves his money. But if he reads what I have written so far he would deny any issues :D

Regards
Angie

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
As you yourself say he no longer understands what he reads anyway. Tell it as it at its worst.

Is he up during the night wandering or disturbing the neighbours?

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
As you yourself say he no longer understands what he reads anyway. Tell it as it at its worst.

Is he up during the night wandering or disturbing the neighbours?

Hi mariong, no he is quite good at night I believe only once he was banging on the patio doors in the back area as he forgot how to get in, but he has only done this once, that I am aware of.

He lost his keys last week, but we got them back. Police were called and helped get him back in, no idea who called the police though :confused:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Just go through each question carefully, write how often or how long help is needed (psst, 20 minutes for everything), then elaborate on the issue in the space provided. Worst case scenario for everything, don't "have feelings", if the bed was wet he has incontinence issues. Mention the wandering. Mention the lost key and police. Mention every tiny detail you can think of! Try to get supporting evidence like a report from the Memory Clinic or GP.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
A lot of good replies here and as you are going to age uk they will certainly ensure it is filled in correctly. I'm sure you will qualify for the lower rate of aa. Age uk I'm sure will advise you if you could possibly get the higher rate and will help you fill the form in accordingly.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Just go through each question carefully, write how often or how long help is needed (psst, 20 minutes for everything), then elaborate on the issue in the space provided. Worst case scenario for everything, don't "have feelings", if the bed was wet he has incontinence issues. Mention the wandering. Mention the lost key and police. Mention every tiny detail you can think of! Try to get supporting evidence like a report from the Memory Clinic or GP.

thanks Beate, does it matter that he does not get care on a daily basis? I go down every Friday to do his washing, flat etc, phone calls daily, and in the background sorting out all his paperwork, conflicts, other issues. I want to be honest with the claim.

The carer starts on Tuesday and set up for once a week at moment, and if he accepts the carer, then will up it to twice a week

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
A lot of good replies here and as you are going to age uk they will certainly ensure it is filled in correctly. I'm sure you will qualify for the lower rate of aa. Age uk I'm sure will advise you if you could possibly get the higher rate and will help you fill the form in accordingly.

Thanks Susy

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
thanks Beate, does it matter that he does not get care on a daily basis? I go down every Friday to do his washing, flat etc, phone calls daily, and in the background sorting out all his paperwork, conflicts, other issues. I want to be honest with the claim.

The carer starts on Tuesday and set up for once a week at moment, and if he accepts the carer, then will up it to twice a week

No it doesn't matter. It's about the care he NEEDS not the care he currently receives. If he needs daily care, that's what you write down.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Thanks Mariong, oh yes he definitely needs daily care with his personal hygiene, its pretty bad :(

Good. I mean not good but it gives you a decent case so don't sugar coat how much care this ideally involves. I live with someone with double incontinence. It's pretty labour-intensive! The changing, the cleaning him and the bed up, changing sheets, washing sheets, buying inco pads...

Last edited:

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Do I have to complete every section on the form, as some of it he does not need, and some of it he does, I am not sure on this?

E.G night care

Daily care needs, getting in and out of bed, he is fine with this, so I have put no. will this reject his application?

Another one moving around indoors, he has lifts etc where he lives, but if he needs the stairs he can do it, but its quite risky now as he is really tentative with steps, which I noticed on Friday.

He does not fall or stumble

eats/drinks fine

communication is shot

I guess what I am trying to say is some stuff he is ok with and some stuff he is really bad, just because he does not tick every box on the form, does this affect his application?

its a struggle

Mar 10, 2015
South Coast - Hampshire
Worst case scenario

Do I have to complete every section on the form, as some of it he does not need, and some of it he does, I am not sure on this?

E.G night care

Daily care needs, getting in and out of bed, he is fine with this, so I have put no. will this reject his application?

Another one moving around indoors, he has lifts etc where he lives, but if he needs the stairs he can do it, but its quite risky now as he is really tentative with steps, which I noticed on Friday.

He does not fall or stumble

eats/drinks fine

communication is shot

I guess what I am trying to say is some stuff he is ok with and some stuff he is really bad, just because he does not tick every box on the form, does this affect his application?

Angie, so sorry you and dad are going through this.

If it's any help OH & I have LPOA for MIL and completed the AA form early last year. When it came to signatures and the question about why the claimant (MIL) was not signing I simply put that she would be anxious and upset if she saw what had been said about her capabilities. This was not questioned & lower rate AA awarded.

I did give examples of the very worst days or worst case scenario - for example you have said above that stairs are quite risky, but he can do if he has to. You could write 'unsafe using stairs unaccompanied'

I'm sure Age UK will be on the ball and help you complete the form without having to tell any fibs! It's all in the way you answer the questions and as other TPers have said - a managed need is still a need.

Good luck tomorrow ;)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you think he has no night care needs then he will simply get the lower rate awarded instead of the higher one. If this changes in future you can at anytime apply for the higher rate then and the form for this will be much shorter as it will only deal with his night needs.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Really glad I found this thread as I've been told by an admiral nurse that I should apply for attendance allowance for my dad. I think I'll give Age UK a call too

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Age uk were absolutely excellent for us. When they were form filling for OHs higher AA, she asked me what I got. I said nothing. I have arthritis, btw. She asked a few questions and applied for what was then DLA which was granted. So surprised! Now , of course, it's been changed to PIP. Once again they form filled, I had the interview, and it was granted again. I don't think I would have known that I was entitled to anything at that stage.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Angie, so sorry you and dad are going through this.

If it's any help OH & I have LPOA for MIL and completed the AA form early last year. When it came to signatures and the question about why the claimant (MIL) was not signing I simply put that she would be anxious and upset if she saw what had been said about her capabilities. This was not questioned & lower rate AA awarded.

I did give examples of the very worst days or worst case scenario - for example you have said above that stairs are quite risky, but he can do if he has to. You could write 'unsafe using stairs unaccompanied'

I'm sure Age UK will be on the ball and help you complete the form without having to tell any fibs! It's all in the way you answer the questions and as other TPers have said - a managed need is still a need.

Good luck tomorrow ;)

Thank you it's a struggle that's a great help