What powers do care managers at a hospital have re deciding aunt's future?

Trishauc

Jul 30, 2009
Lincolnshire
My aunt has AD and has been living in sheltered accommodation. Her only son lives in NZ and although I'm not the only niece/nephew, I'm the only one who has any contact with her, but I don't class myself as next of kin. She lives about 90 minutes drive away and I work FT as well as having a mother with AD so I don't see her that often.
She has care visits 4 times daily so is ok re food, personal care but no help with financial matters. There is no POA in place and I think she now lacks capacity to grant this.
She had been in hospital for a week, which was then extended because of norovirus on the ward. I had a phone call a couple of days ago from the care manager at the hospital who said they had done an assessment and they had decided that she couldn't go back to her flat, but would need to go into a care home asap.
She then proceeded to tell me (order) me to sort out a care home, sort out financial information for funding etc. without any consideration as whether I was in any position to be to do this.
What I wanted to know was a) can they make this decision unilaterally / without any discussion with any family members b) can they force me to do what they are asking?
i want to do what I can to help my aunt but i don't want to be bullied!

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Hi and welcome to TP.

Idk UK system. But I doubt that anywhere in world, someone could be responsible for an aunt welfare.

However, if you are the only one she has contact, and you want to keep visiting on future, maybe you can help finding a CH easy for you to visit.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
Her only son lives in NZ and although I'm not the only niece/nephew, I'm the only one who has any contact with her, but I don't class myself as next of kin. She lives about 90 minutes drive away and I work FT as well as having a mother with AD so I don't see her that often.

As far as finances are concerned, a deputy needs to be appointed with the COP.

Suggest you alert her son to the situation and tell social services about him. Your aunt is his responsibility.

You have your Mum to consider and your work, plus you don't live nearby.

Poppyfields

Sep 12, 2013
My aunt has AD and has been living in sheltered accommodation. Her only son lives in NZ and although I'm not the only niece/nephew, I'm the only one who has any contact with her, but I don't class myself as next of kin. She lives about 90 minutes drive away and I work FT as well as having a mother with AD so I don't see her that often.
She has care visits 4 times daily so is ok re food, personal care but no help with financial matters. There is no POA in place and I think she now lacks capacity to grant this.
She had been in hospital for a week, which was then extended because of norovirus on the ward. I had a phone call a couple of days ago from the care manager at the hospital who said they had done an assessment and they had decided that she couldn't go back to her flat, but would need to go into a care home asap.
She then proceeded to tell me (order) me to sort out a care home, sort out financial information for funding etc. without any consideration as whether I was in any position to be to do this.
What I wanted to know was a) can they make this decision unilaterally / without any discussion with any family members b) can they force me to do what they are asking?
i want to do what I can to help my aunt but i don't want to be bullied!

A full time care home may not be necessary - can you perhaps look into an increased care package, or perhaps live in care? If that isn't possible, what about moving to supported or assisted living accommodation?

These options can work very well for people who are independent and don't want to go into res care

If we knew then what we knew now, my gran would have done this - instead we allowed social services to insist that the only option was full time residential care - in truth it is the easiest and most profitable option for social services/LAs

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Trish, welcome to TP
My advise it to run away as fast as your little Lincolnshire legs will carry you (other leg lengths are available) and then hide.
Any help you may choose to make is entirely up to you and so only do what you want, when you want and on your terms.
If she lacks capacity and no one has a power of attorney already set up then, as has been said it will need to go to the Court of Protection, this is a long drawn out and potentially expensive process and not something I'd advise anyone to get involved with.
If her only child lives in NZ then I'd contact him and get him to make some decisions ASAP and don't let him draw you in either.
Basically all her assets, cash, bank accounts, value of her house and all the rest will need to be looked into, a care home found, payments for this will need organising... there's a million things.
If nobody will take this on the LA will have to do it and I believe they can charge for this service and the costs for the CoP.
The person here that needs to make the decision is her son, there are ways he can handle it so his whole inheritance (assuming he is probably the main beneficary) will go up in smoke, quite quickly.
I don't know what the care manager is playing at telling you what to do, you don't have the right to sell her house or access her money until, should you choose to, become her deputy with the CoP.
K

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I'm with kevinl on this one - this is not your responsibility (legally or morally).

It would be easier for the hospital discharge planner, the hospital social worker, the community social worker and the provider of the sheltered accommodation if they could persuade you to do the running around rather than them having to sort out your aunt's future (with or without any input from her son in NZ). Making life easier for them can't be your goal in life, given all the other responsibilities you've got.

I'm sure you'll try to support your aunt to the extent it's possible for you in your circumstances to do. However, given those circumstances I'd have thought it would be best for the hospital discharge planner et al to appoint a paid, experienced advocate to guard your aunt's interests ... and not to try to browbeat you into performing that role.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77