Self funding coming to an end

firbear

May 20, 2016
Dorset
My mother is in care in Poole. She has Alzheimers and is in self funded care.
I can get no clear answer as to what will happen when her self funding comes to an end.
We have been looking at alternative care homes as we are not confident that the present one is at all interested in Social Service funding and will ask us to remove mum.
Can anyone help in clarifying the funding available from SS? How is her pension taken into account?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

You will have to contact yout LA to start the process of a financial assessment for your Mother.

When the LA become responsible for your Mother's care then she will have to use her state pension and any private pension she receives to pay towards her care. Attendance allowance will stop too if she receives the benefit.

She will keep approx £25 a week for personal requirements.

All local authorities have a fixed amount they will pay towards care.

theplume

Nov 30, 2011
Poole L.A. - self funding coming to an end.

Hi
I am in the same situation, also dealing with Poole!

Once you have had the financial assessment, which will take into account your mothers private pension, state pension, nursing care contribution and any other benefits there maybe a shortfall (or maybe not, depending on your Mothers financial situation).

Assuming there is a shortfall, Poole will ask you/family to make up any difference between what the care home currently charges, and what they are prepared to pay on a weekly basis - from memory its around £500/week.

You can refuse to pay the top up and the responsibility then falls to Poole to find an alternative care home which meets your Mothers needs and their affordability criteria;this can be up to 30(?) miles from where she is now.

If you are worried about the impact of moving your Mum, then ask for a statement from her GP to support a 'stay where she is' response.

Good luck!

firbear

May 20, 2016
Dorset
Funding coming to an end

Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

You will have to contact yout LA to start the process of a financial assessment for your Mother.

When the LA become responsible for your Mother's care then she will have to use her state pension and any private pension she receives to pay towards her care. Attendance allowance will stop too if she receives the benefit.

She will keep approx £25 a week for personal requirements.

All local authorities have a fixed amount they will pay towards care.

Thank you for your response I appreciate any advice on this matter.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi firbear
I agree with theplume's comment about getting together as much evidence as you can to support that it is in your mother's best interests to stay in the care home she is living in now (assuming that is what you would prefer)
the GP ought to be able to help, her CPN, and even the care home manager may back you up with confirmation that your mother is settled, her needs are well met and she is in surroundings that are familiar and comforting to her with staff who know her well and whom she knows and is comfortable with - how long she has been there may well count for you, and that family will have to alter their visiting if she is moved, which be detrimental to her welfare, denying her the family ties that are important to her
you may be wise to look around at other homes, but I'd keep that to yourself, if I were you, and not mention any other homes to the LA until you are forced to - keep your argument centred on why your mother needs to stay where she is

PS - this crossed with your post - so not really helpful - sorry

Last edited:

firbear

May 20, 2016
Dorset
Hi
I am in the same situation, also dealing with Poole!

Once you have had the financial assessment, which will take into account your mothers private pension, state pension, nursing care contribution and any other benefits there maybe a shortfall (or maybe not, depending on your Mothers financial situation).

Assuming there is a shortfall, Poole will ask you/family to make up any difference between what the care home currently charges, and what they are prepared to pay on a weekly basis - from memory its around £500/week.

You can refuse to pay the top up and the responsibility then falls to Poole to find an alternative care home which meets your Mothers needs and their affordability criteria;this can be up to 30(?) miles from where she is now.

If you are worried about the impact of moving your Mum, then ask for a statement from her GP to support a 'stay where she is' response.

Good luck!

Hi , thank you for your response which is really helpful. I am sorry to hear that you are in a similar situation. I have contacted Social Services and at this point in time I am not able to apply for an assessment.

I do need to move Mum from her current care home. I need to find a good care home where her current needs will be met. So many care homes seem to be all 'smoke and mirrors' where you seem to be paying for the interior and surroundings.

I wondered if you or anyone on the forum could recommend a good care home in the Poole/Bournemouth area that really cares for people with dementia. I can then fight her case when the time comes in relation to funding.

Thank you for your understanding.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
My mother is in care in Poole. She has Alzheimers and is in self funded care.
I can get no clear answer as to what will happen when her self funding comes to an end.
We have been looking at alternative care homes as we are not confident that the present one is at all interested in Social Service funding and will ask us to remove mum.
Can anyone help in clarifying the funding available from SS? How is her pension taken into account?

The two tier funding has to stop, please have a look at my petition and if you agree and have the energy then please sign https://www.change.org/p/fair-care-home-fees-for-all

firbear

May 20, 2016
Dorset
Hi firbear
I agree with theplume's comment about getting together as much evidence as you can to support that it is in your mother's best interests to stay in the care home she is living in now (assuming that is what you would prefer)
the GP ought to be able to help, her CPN, and even the care home manager may back you up with confirmation that your mother is settled, her needs are well met and she is in surroundings that are familiar and comforting to her with staff who know her well and whom she knows and is comfortable with - how long she has been there may well count for you, and that family will have to alter their visiting if she is moved, which be detrimental to her welfare, denying her the family ties that are important to her
you may be wise to look around at other homes, but I'd keep that to yourself, if I were you, and not mention any other homes to the LA until you are forced to - keep your argument centred on why your mother needs to stay where she is

PS - this crossed with your post - so not really helpful - sorry

This advice will come in very useful thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5