Advice re deprivation of liberty

Shabba

Apr 9, 2016
Not sure if I should be in another thread with this one folks, please feel free to tell me if so!
My gorgeous mum, 80 with late stage VD/AD, was discharged from hospital yesterday to a nursing home as an intermediate stage placement before my brother and I decide on long term prospects. Ive cared for her for 3yrs, no help, "I can cope", but discharge team really feel mum needs more than I give her now, ie needs 2 to transfer, Im beyond sad, feel lost.
However, the NH manager, who has been very nice, today told me they have to register DOLS for mum. As well as being bamboozled with all changes happening so suddenly, this has become my "sleepless night" topic for today! Does this happen to any resident who goes into care home?
Thank you to anyone reading ...

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes it's completely standard. The important part is the "safeguarding" bit of the DOLS acronym. It's there to make your mum safe, so please don't lose any more sleep over it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Like Beate and Jen said, it's normal for the Care Home to do this otherwise she could get up and leave any time she wanted and there's nothing anyone can do to stop her.
No one can be "help" against their will other than in circumstances prescribed by law, so a policeman can arrest you, a person can be held under various sections of the mental health act are a couple of common examples but the state or a care home has no rights to detain someone unless it's within a legal frame work.
DoLS is not really any different to the "power" a parent has over a child in some respects, as a parent you can confine a child to the house so they don't wander off and get run over or not let then do something that may harm them, likewise you expect a school to keep the gates closed and not let a 5 years old go wandering off if they feel like it.
We live in a free, democratic society and before anyone can be "deprived of their liberty" it has to be shown this is as a "Safeguard" as I say without on she can walk out anytime and anyone stopping her, no matter how well meant could be open to a charge of false imprisonment.
Don't worry they can't tie her to a chair or anything it just gives them the right to confine her within the safe environment of the home.
K

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Couldn't decide whether to reply to your post or not as I feel a bit insensitive as you are not at that stage yet. Have decided to though as the worst part of our experience was being unaware and lack of knowledge.

Our lovely mum passed away in March which was when we found out about DoLS. Every DoLS case is referred to the coroner and we even had to attend the inquest. Nobody told us any of this and in fact most professionals are not knowledgeable about DoLS...even the GP's.
I just want to let people know so they don't get the shock we did. Hopefully this is years away for you but it's better to know about it I think.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Couldn't decide whether to reply to your post or not as I feel a bit insensitive as you are not at that stage yet. Have decided to though as the worst part of our experience was being unaware and lack of knowledge.

Our lovely mum passed away in March which was when we found out about DoLS. Every DoLS case is referred to the coroner and we even had to attend the inquest. Nobody told us any of this and in fact most professionals are not knowledgeable about DoLS...even the GP's.
I just want to let people know so they don't get the shock we did. Hopefully this is years away for you but it's better to know about it I think.

This is so wrong, you should have known about the DOLS. I attended each DOLS official visit, I was actually invited by the assessor each time. I was asked my opinions on the level of care they thought he needed and thankfully we were in agreement. Was even asked if I was happy with his bedding as he had a duvet and was he given a choice of blankets. I am so sorry that you have not had the same experience as we have with both the Coroner and DOLS.

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
Apparently dad did meet the assessor but he says he had no idea who she was and just assumed she was a social worker. Apparently they called me too at some point but I wasn't aware they were anyone unusual...no mention of DoLS. And in any case it wouldn't have changed the fact that we definitely didn't know about the coroner.
If someone had explained DoLS to me at some point I wouldn't have forgotten. I think Coventry seems to be lacking in many areas when it comes to dementia.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My mother died 48 hours after entering hospital but as she was on an assessment unit (which doesn't count as an admission) and died 12 hours after being admitted to a ward it had to go to the coroners, I said I wished I kept her at home and was told that would go to the coroners too as she wasn't at the time being treated for any terminal conditions so the cause of death would need to be established by the coroner's office.
As all this happened between Christmas and new year I was impressed by the speed and efficiency with which it all got sorted.
Anyone dying in the care of the state be it DoLS, sectioned, in prison or police custody the coroner has to be told which although a pain is there for all our safety I think.
K

Shabba

Apr 9, 2016

Hi JackMac. Please don't worry, I am really grateful for your forthrightness, I would rather know than not, and I am really sorry you went through such a shock, my condolences on the loss of your lovely mum x The care home manager said I should be contacted by an assessor so await that and find out the nitty gritty. Everything is a minefield in this dementia journey isn't it. Unfortunately my dad's death went through coroners (not dementia, was mesothelioma, so classed as an industrial disease) so although dread what the future holds for my mum, have sadly already experienced this. Take care x

Nut

Sep 30, 2013
Norfolk
It should be fine

Hi Shabba, I am so sorry you are worried about the DoLS thing. I think Kevinl has explained it well. I deal with DoLS professionally. The idea is to protect people's freedoms and liberties and ensure no-one is placed in a care home or hospital without "safeguards" I.e. Scrutiny of the arrangements, giving family the right to be consulted and to go to court if they think the placement is wrong. This makes more sense to me when for example someone with learning disabilities is placed in a care home in their best interests. This has to be scrutinised carefully.
For your Mum this should be more of a formality, the assessments and reports should ALWAYS involve you. It should be supportive and be an extra layer of examination of her care to make sure all is ok.
I understand it could be daunting, but it is not led by you. In fact I think it is a sign the care home manager knows what he/she is doing to apply for a DoL. So many don't so take heart it is a good sign.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I'd like to add that a DoLS order doesn't mean that you can't take your mother out of the care home for a lunch or outing - it just means that they had the power to keep her there safe - even if she demands to go home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77