Thank goodness they all aren't like this!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Whenever I read articles like this I feel sick and scared. None of us can know what goes on during the hours we are nor visiting our relatives.
I visited my husband for the most part daily and saw no sign of abuse or disrespect such as that written about here and I desperately hope it didn't happen when I wasn't there - but can I be absolutely certain of that. Can any of us? He certainly wouldn't have been able to tell me about it.
The guilt of him being there in the first place is hard enough to bear and each time I read news like this, the stab of guilt cuts deeper. Not forgetting the overwhelming sympathy felt for the poor people in that home too.
I hope and pray that he didn't suffer as they have and I hope and pray that they will not have to suffer it again.
Well done to the Mail and that reporter for highlighting this.

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I always wonder, when stories like this surface, how do they risk it? Never knowing when a relative will show up? Assuming that these homes have the same "anytime " visiting policy as homes here do. At William's home, you had to sign yourself in and out, and a staff member had to actually let you in and out as the doors were locked, but there was no restrictions on when you went. And there are minimum staff/resident ratios, and for a small home like William's, a minimum requirement of 2 staff nurses on duty always in addition to the care assistants.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think that if you visit regularly you will get a feel of the place and would pick up the vibes if things are being done "for show", or if its genuine care.

To me it just goes to show that you cant just go on the glossy adverts, assume that paying a lot of money necessarily means better care, or be bowled over by fancy decor. I mean, it might be all of that plus good care - but dont assume its the case.

The other thing to remember is that this is a retirement village - its not a dementia unit.

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
My first port of call was the CQC websites which are an absolute must for anyone looking for a care or nursing home. Then I made general enquiries amongst all my friends, particularly those who had had first hand experience of homes. After this, I went visiting - some unannounced, some by appointments. I saw everything from "the Dorchester" to "one flew over the cuckoo's nest". I actually sat outside and cried after visiting one home.

I chose a home based on my observations of the 'care' not whether they had an aromatherapy suite, or whether the visiting hairdresser was Vidal Sasoon trained!. I knew enough to know that most homes have a certain odour and that money spent on essentials is better than money spent on state-of-the-art wallpaper. Do the staff bother to ask a resident if they need a cardigan when it's a cool day, or would they be able to distract a difficult sundowning resident who has become agitated. Do the carers recognise that the residents require dignity, respect and love. or is it just a job. Is the care home manager approachable, are the staff trained or are they just cheap labour? Are the beds clean, does it look like home, rather than 'a home'. Are they flexible in their attitude or is it run like a prison camp? Can you visit when it's convenient for you not the home? What does the food look and taste like, are the residents provided with stimulation or left to their own devices because it's easier that way? Is their privacy respected but as their condition progresses are their changing needs discussed with you.

I threw a number of glossy brochures in the bin. I googled everything in order to find out whether the home had EVER been given a disappointing or negative review from anyone.
I chose the very best I could based on my instincts, not on a grand piano in the hall or a lady showing me around who resembled a Virgin Airline trolley dolly. My choice was fortunately reinforced by a trusted recommendation. "It's not perfect' she said. At the time, I thought "but it must be perfect, this is my mum we are talking about". I have learned that unless you yourself are willing to shadow your loved one 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 52 weeks in a year - the care is always going to be less than absolutely perfect BUT your choice has to be made on the evidence of what you see, hear and feel. I am happy with my choice but if I wasn't, mum would be moved in a jiffy.

There is no excuse for abuse, cruelty or a disrespectful attitude. Ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
At my mums new nursing home I met the lead nurse who left shortly after mum arrived. I haven't met the manager.

I think I need too.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
At my mums new nursing home I met the lead nurse who left shortly after mum arrived. I haven't met the manager.

I think I need too.

Good idea. The manager is like the headmaster in a school. He/she sets the tone and is the key player in how the home is run. You need to be able to trust them.

Mum's CH had a very nice but weak manager in temporarily and I really noticed the difference. Fortunately the old manager had been moved into a more senior role within the company and she listened and acted on our concerns.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Weirdly they keep pushing a contract for me to sign.

I don't understand this . What is it for. The nhs pick up the bill, the contract should be with them. I'm not signing it.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Can you email the home, copy to the NHS organisation picking up the bill, putting this question to them? I wouldn't want to sign either - it sounds as if the home is muddled or planning to pull a fast one!:D

Missy

Dec 18, 2006
Weirdly they keep pushing a contract for me to sign.

I don't understand this . What is it for. The nhs pick up the bill, the contract should be with them. I'm not signing it.

It 's not for the infamous Top Up fees is it?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
In my mums care home,abuse went on in front of me,not just behind closed doors. The day mum died a carer was trying to force mum's eyes to close,as they were open when she died. If I hadn't screamed at her to stop,she would have carried on. All but one carer in mum's care home was vile.

i'm so sorry Kassy, you know I feel so much sadness and pain for you. Where are those carers now......

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Definitely don't sign it, I agree send or give a copy to the CHC and tell them it is up to them. I agree you should meet the manager - they are the key figures in homes

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
I'm so shocked about this. I think we had a lucky escape as this is one of the places we considered for my MiL - it looked so lovely in the brochures.

Luckily she ended up local to us in a shabby but wonderful nursing home!!

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Pleased to hear that Jasmine.

They've put a thin blue line thru anything financial...so write me another one. Don't be lazy.

There's now not enough nursing homes so they are practically writing their own cheques.

ASPIRE

Jan 9, 2014
cambridge
Care home and their carers

I was pleased to read the reply from OTIRUZ which covered everything that l look for in a care home when selecting one for my wife who has Alzheimers.

Because of her behavior my wife has been in three so far. The latest one is just leaving the residents to do their own thing and they end up as corridor walkers or just sit in their wheel chairs asleep most of the time. A lot of the carers dont know how to talk to the residents.

The unit manager in this care home has told me that they dont have to provide love and affection that is my job and they are not there to support me.

You can just imagine what the care staff are like when they have a manager who thinks like this.

l really want my wife to be looked after in a good care home with good carers who will give her some love and affection who will interact with her to give her some sort of quality of life.

My wife will end her days in a care home and l want it right for her.

She dosnt smile anymore and she walks with her head down.

Perhaps one of you can recommend a good care home with nursing anywhere in East Anglia.

Your comments please.