extra stimulation for dementia sufferer

animay

Apr 21, 2016
hello,
I may be looking for something that doesn't exist but... mums in a nursing home suffering from alzheimers. She is in a dementia unit but sadly doesn't benefit from all the activities offered as she can't interact much. I know she is definitely present but doesn't speak much and is very sleepy. She's in GB and I'm in France. I visit every 2-3 weeks but I would really love her to have more stimulation. I would be happy to pay for someone to go and see her regularly or maybe there are volunteers who could visit her and talk to her about her life, listen to music or read to her....
could anyone put me in the right direction.
many thanks

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I understand what you want for your mum but I have no direct experience to offer. Sue is most stimulated these days by trips out and visits from friends and family.

I think there are volunteers who visit people in CHs. Perhaps someone who knows about this will be along.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Was she a regular attendee at a church/religious group?

They could well have people who are DBS cleared and would visit her.

Even if she was not a churchgoer they may be prepared to help.

Ask at the care home if any such people visit.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
A lot of people with advanced dementia are unable to do more than make sense of their bodily sensations and stimuli, because their reduced brain abilities cant process other things. The ones sat slumped in their chair may not be lacking in stimuli - they just cant cope with anything else. Some of them are scared by what they perceive as contact by strangers that they dont understand what they want.

Obviously I dont know how far along your mum is and she may not have reached this stage yet.

Have the CH tried things like rummage boxes or fiddle muffs/rugs? I have recently made a fiddle rug for mum which she loves.

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
hello,
I may be looking for something that doesn't exist but... mums in a nursing home suffering from alzheimers. She is in a dementia unit but sadly doesn't benefit from all the activities offered as she can't interact much. I know she is definitely present but doesn't speak much and is very sleepy. She's in GB and I'm in France. I visit every 2-3 weeks but I would really love her to have more stimulation. I would be happy to pay for someone to go and see her regularly or maybe there are volunteers who could visit her and talk to her about her life, listen to music or read to her....
many thanks

My dad is on a care home with vascular dementia and sleeps all day, his psychiatrist has referred him to have a dementia outreach visit every two weeks. Dad has had two visits, they have assessed his capabilities and put together a plan with the home activities person. Will let you know how it goes.leeds

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
hello,
many thanks

Hi Animay,

This is so difficult for you and you are doing your best. You know your mum better than anyone, her interests etc. am sure you have talked to the Nursing Home staff re suitable activities your mum will enjoy. It depends so much on the person. Many activities in my opinion don't work although loads of suggestions out there.

Just off the top of my head....... Has she got personal things like photoes in her room, a favourite cushion, a loved ornament? Does she enjoy music, watching television? Can she go for short walks? Favourite smells? Perfume? Am sure NH has activities in place and that they are gently encouraged, not forced. Am protective of people with AD and I believe we must try and enter into their world as much as possible.

Sending you lots of support,

Aisling

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum used to find the visual stimulation too much so would sit with her eyes shut if you tried to do to many things with her. She wanted to be left alone to snooze.

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
hello,
many thanks

There are private care agencies in the UK who you could try. I have a carer visit my dad every day during the week (when I can't see him) for an hour or two at a time. Like your mum, he doesn't benefit from the activities in the home because he doesn't like interacting with groups, plus he is profoundly deaf. The 1-2-1 care works well for him. Just do Google search for agencies in your mum's area.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Mum used to find the visual stimulation too much so would sit with her eyes shut if you tried to do to many things with her. She wanted to be left alone to snooze.

Mine too, during her last few years. She wasn't bored, she simply could not be bothered with anything - I think her poor old brain could not cope with anything but the bare essentials any more.

Engr Caregiver

May 7, 2016
USA
Stimulation

hello,
many thanks

My wife is still at home, but is boared bacause she can no longer do the activities she loved including reading, crafts and painting. I recently got her a smart TV (we don't watch TV) and put on YouTube videos. I'm amazed how many good ones are there. She loves watching the nature ones or travel logs. She alos likes the funny animals. This seems to be stimulating for her.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi Engr,

Welcome to TP, YouTube videos sound a great idea as in my experience they are not overlong so should hold your wife's attention.

Keep posting we welcome everyone and their ideas.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
My wife is still at home, but is boared bacause she can no longer do the activities she loved including reading, crafts and painting. I recently got her a smart TV (we don't watch TV) and put on YouTube videos. I'm amazed how many good ones are there. She loves watching the nature ones or travel logs. She alos likes the funny animals. This seems to be stimulating for her.

That is a fabulous idea

ignis

Feb 12, 2013
Fife
hello,
many thanks

You could try finding out about Music Therapy. Nordoff Robins is a charity offering music therapy at many different levels. Look them up and see if there is one in your mums area.