Deep sleep but eyes open

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
My mother is 95 and is probably mid stage dementia - maybe mixed Alzheimers and vascular. Today she hasn't got up and seems to be in a very deep sleep but her eyes are open.

She vaguely makes a sound if I really call her while standing next to her but she doesn't move at all. Although there was the hint of a smile when I mentioned breakfast.

There's a builder making a big racket in the bathroom but she doesn't seem to hear it and usually she gets up well before he arrives.

Last week she was trotting round the Eden project fully engaged and going out to lunch in her village so this is a bit of a contrast and I am not sure what to do.....

Is this part of the dementia progression? I'd call her doctor but last time I asked him about incontinence he immediately suggested it was time for a care home which is not what she wants.

I'm not sure if I should be worried or not as I've seen her through so many varying sleep patters. Any thoughts folks?

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I too suggest getting a GP in. and dont worry about them mentioning a care home .
I found it was wise to suspect an infection if their was any sudden worsening, though their can be other causes.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
How are you getting on la Lucia? Any news?
Does she respond to being touched? If not phone the GP or dial 999 This is not "normal" If she responds...phone the GP anyway.

Rewrote reply because I had already called an ambulance and it arrived just as I was about to post. It was puzzling to everyone until my mum had a scan and it was identified as a brain hemorrhage. She was silent all day and she can't move but just before I left she spoke loud and clear for the first time and showed small signs of movement.

It's now watch and wait but she's in a good stroke unit and their dementia skills are first class. It's been an awful day to say the least and I'm exhausted. I don't even want to think about what may be next although we sent off the poa forms about 6 weeks ago (and they've cashed the cheques) it's not 'officia'l yet, we've had no response and I am not sure where that leaves us.

Thank you to everyone who commented - it really threw me this morning because I thought I had seen it all on this rocky road.

Can't fault anyone today - the ambulance arrived so fast despite being in a rural village, the paramedics were so professional and the hospital staff at all levels have been top notch - give thanks and praise for the NHS -

Thank you Talking Point.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I'm sorry to hear about what has happened to your mum. My mum had a haemorrhagic stroke when she was 55. She was very seriously ill but did recover with the best care. Unfortunately she started showing signs of dementia ten years later. She's now in the later stages at age 67.

I hope your mum can battle this and is home soon. It takes so much strength for everyone involved to get through what is thrown at us xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bebb