My Husband

jackie41

Mar 19, 2016
coleshill nr birmingham
my husband 82 yrs and he don't what day it is he don't know when we got marred, but dos recognised a bout the war and when he was little boy when was 6 years old he had a air-plain for it I look ofter him on my own it
hard to see him like this no one to talk to as he sleeps lot now so how do cop I just site and cry lot he can tell you lot bout war days but not to day is there
some one out there with same as me it would help to talk to some a bout it jackie

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi jackie41
welcome to TP
you sound so tired, and it sounds as though you are caring for your husband so well - but you need some time for yourself and some support for him

I found this page of what I think is your council's website, which may help
http://www.livingwellwithdementia.org/
and this on the AS website
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/local-information/dementia-connect#!/results/list?p=0&s=5&q=%7B%22place%22:%22B92%207RN%22,%22dist%22:5%7D

There may be a carer's café near you, where you can chat with other people in a similar situation over a cuppa and a cake - maybe look in the local paper

Are you in contact with your local Adult Services? You are entitled to a Carer's Assessment which may offer you some ways to have time to yourself eg someone to stay with your husband for a few hours
and your husband is entitled to an assessment of his care needs - which may mean he can have some time at a day centre and you can have some help in your home

please do have a chat with your GP, about how you are and how you feel - they may be able to organise something - as well as keeping your husband's GP up to date with how he is; they can't help if they don't know that you are so tired

and do come back here to chat - there are lots of members looking after a spouse/partner - maybe you've already been looking at some of the threads?

very best wishes

Deputypink

Aug 4, 2013
Recognition

My heart goes out to all of you who are not recognised by the family members . I would say my dad did not recognise me in the last few months of his life . He was in a home ( absolutely fantastic staff and facilities ) . I would visit him twice a week - I would look round and see all these carers that looked a bit like me , of all ages . So no wonder he did not recognise me .......... He had 30 extra daughters who all cared for him in such a special way . If I looked at it this way - I coped ! I must say I think I was the only one that kissed him on the head and told him I loved him before I left !!!!

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
I met my husband when I was 16 and have been married 51 years. He hasn't known my name for 18 months and when asked, says I'm John. He thinks one of our sons is John as well. Sometimes he says he loves me; other times he says he'll murder me. It doesn't upset me, I can tell the emotional attachment is still there.
Liz