The impact of caring

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Yesterday I received a letter from Carer's Australia (Victoria) with some information regarding their various events for Carers.

This group offers assistance for all Carers - people who look after the disabled, mental health sufferers, people with dementia - everybody who has a caring role.

They included a list of the changes that Carers commonly face and it is as follows:

Changes in sleep routines (sleeping more or less than usual, disturbed sleep)

Exhaustion

Little or no motivation (losing interest in things they used to enjoy, struggling with daily chores)

Indecision

Feeling confused or being a little more forgetful

Feeling guilty

Getting angry more than usual especially over little things

Weight gain or loss

Constant or frequent physical complaints (headaches, chronic pain, changes in blood pressure, skin conditions)

Tightness in chest or breathing problems

Other signs:

When the caring role is having a negative impact on close relationships

If others are suggesting that support might be a good idea

If you are struggling to know how or why you should look after yourself

If you are worrying a lot about your future or the future of the person you care for

The letter went on to say that anyone noticing these signs of stress should seek help so I guess that most of us know what these feelings are like. I went through and ticked off any that affected me and had to admit that there were nine items.

My OH is not too bad really compared to others who post here. But it is five years since his troubles began and two years since diagnosis of AD. Along the way he has had a cardiac arrest (at home when I gave him CPR till the ambulance arrived), prostate surgery, an internal bleed and major surgery on a complex hernia. And if you add a layer of OH's paranoia and heart failure, life is not exactly a bed of roses.

So to all of you who cope with patients with more advanced forms of dementia, you have my undying admiration and respect. I have no idea of how you keep going.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Thank you for posting this information, very interesting. Think I could tick every one of those statements! I particularly liked where it says you should seek help. I did this a month ago, only to be told by my GP I need a cleaner if I'm too exhausted after caring for everyone else, to help me keep on top of my own housework. Or she did suggest a life coach, thing is I need a life to have a life coach and whilst coping with both parents with dementia and a son with mega anxiety issues can't see me starting my life just yet.

Seriously, it's reassuring to read and to know that the symptoms mentioned are a common thing among Carers.

Thank you.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Yesterday I received a letter from Carer's Australia (Victoria) with some information regarding their various events for Carers.

This group offers assistance for all Carers - people who look after the disabled, mental health sufferers, people with dementia - everybody who has a caring role.

They included a list of the changes that Carers commonly face and it is as follows:

Changes in sleep routines (sleeping more or less than usual, disturbed sleep)

Exhaustion

Little or no motivation (losing interest in things they used to enjoy, struggling with daily chores)

Indecision

Feeling confused or being a little more forgetful

Feeling guilty

Getting angry more than usual especially over little things

Weight gain or loss

Constant or frequent physical complaints (headaches, chronic pain, changes in blood pressure, skin conditions)

Tightness in chest or breathing problems

Other signs:

When the caring role is having a negative impact on close relationships

If others are suggesting that support might be a good idea

If you are struggling to know how or why you should look after yourself

If you are worrying a lot about your future or the future of the person you care for

The letter went on to say that anyone noticing these signs of stress should seek help so I guess that most of us know what these feelings are like. I went through and ticked off any that affected me and had to admit that there were nine items.

My OH is not too bad really compared to others who post here. But it is five years since his troubles began and two years since diagnosis of AD. Along the way he has had a cardiac arrest (at home when I gave him CPR till the ambulance arrived), prostate surgery, an internal bleed and major surgery on a complex hernia. And if you add a layer of OH's paranoia and heart failure, life is not exactly a bed of roses.

So to all of you who cope with patients with more advanced forms of dementia, you have my undying admiration and respect. I have no idea of how you keep going.

Wow! Thank you so much. This is so helpful. You have helped me so much. I ticked everything on the list and began to think I was going completely mad!

Aisling

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Ditto Aisling....the "other signs " was most interesting as I lost myself completely,I used to really look after myself but lost this completely. It was only two weeks ago when we had a major blip that I realised how much I had let myself slide.And only now after asking for help, realise just how lowI had got. So booked hair appointment hygienist, chiropodist ,oh came too.,but he had been a regular at all three anyway I hadn't neglected him just myself. For respite I have booked myself into have myl ong neglected beauty treatments( oh the luxury of going alone),. I feel so much better reading that as a carer my feelings and actions are " normal". Thanks for the post.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Though I was not new to caring, when I moved here to look after mum, I could have ticked all but four on that list.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Thank you from me too. I've ticked more boxes there than I'm comfortable with. Certainly gives pause for thought. The caring for yourself certainly rings bells, a few weeks ago even cleaning my teeth seemed like too much hassle. In my case I think its caring plus a bit of the winter blues.

Lavender45 x