Mum Increasingly distressed and aggressive has been sectioned

Auski

Aug 16, 2014
Mum has advanced Alzheimer's (originally early onset at 58, she's 68 now). Dad is her main carer. She recently had a bad fall and needed and emergency hip operation. She was in hospital for a while and the staff found her increasingly aggressive behaviour hard to deal with. Long story short she was sectioned (section 2) and moved to the Psych ward. She's been there over a month and recently was moved on to a section 3 after a multi disciplinary review. Apparently they have not managed to stabilize her behaviour which has become increasingly erratic.

She had another fall on Monday, this time in her room and nursing staff found her on the floor with a big gash above her eye. She's been very distressed, and has been hallucinating. She's had a change in medication since moving to the psych ward and she's also given sedatives as and when needed.
She was displaying aggressive and distressed behaviour for a few month prior to the fall but obviously recent events and upset in environment has made this worse.

I feel so helpless. I hate to think of my mum suffering, and she clearly is both mentally and physically. I just don't know what to do.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks so much for reading.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm sorry to hear your mum's aggression is not abating, but she is in the best place. I hope they will be able to find medication that will suit her, but it can be a case of trial and error until they come up with a combination that works.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Hello Auski, welcome to TP, sorry you have to be here......:(

I didn't want to read and run but I don't have experience of sectioning or treatment under section so I can't offer first hand advice as others will be able to but I know that it can take some time for someone's meds to be sorted to a point where they are effective - which I guess is why a Section 3 is 6 months, there isn't a 'one size fits all' prescription unfortunately. I know too that many people on here have had positive experiences of having a LO treated under sectioning as it is often the only environment for someone with extreme problems to be treated safely.

That said clearly this hasn't happened sufficiently well for your poor Mum and I am so sorry for you and her that she is still in distress and has now had such a nasty fall.

The fall will (should) be dealt with as a safeguarding issue by the team responsible for your Mum and there should be a meeting with all concerned attending to ascertain what happened and to prevent it happening again so this will be an opportunity for you to raise issues about her ongoing placement at this facility and whether there is somewhere better (or even just altered care arrangements in this facility) that would better address your Mum's needs.

I am so sorry Auski that you, and your poor Mum, and your Dad of course are going through such a horrible time and I know others with more direct experience will be along shortly with more and better advice for you.

Hang in there :eek:

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Mum has advanced Alzheimer's (originally early onset at 58, she's 68 now). Dad is her main carer. She recently had a bad fall and needed and emergency hip operation. She was in hospital for a while and the staff found her increasingly aggressive behaviour hard to deal with. Long story short she was sectioned (section 2) and moved to the Psych ward. She's been there over a month and recently was moved on to a section 3 after a multi disciplinary review. Apparently they have not managed to stabilize her behaviour which has become increasingly erratic.

She had another fall on Monday, this time in her room and nursing staff found her on the floor with a big gash above her eye. She's been very distressed, and has been hallucinating. She's had a change in medication since moving to the psych ward and she's also given sedatives as and when needed.
She was displaying aggressive and distressed behaviour for a few month prior to the fall but obviously recent events and upset in environment has made this worse.

I feel so helpless. I hate to think of my mum suffering, and she clearly is both mentally and physically. I just don't know what to do.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks so much for reading.

Your poor Mum and you. It is awful for you.the only consolation is your Mum is in the best place for her. She is safe and monitored 24/7.

Loads of hugs from Ireland.

Aisling

Auski

Aug 16, 2014
Thanks all for your replies. You've helped reassure me that she's in the best place. This illness is just so awful. I'm hopeful some changes in meds over the next few weeks will help mum. Thanks again.