Worst Day Yet

sparky023

May 16, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire
Dad has been home from hospital for 4 weeks, where he was diagnosed and given a care package of 2 carers twice a day, to aid with medication etc. Four weeks in, and with "just checking" app and dad used to the carers visiting, I think we've all relaxed a little.
Today, I knew Dad had gone out mid afternoon to visit my Mum. At 4pm I had a call from Mums care home. They were concerned that on leaving he had mentioned he felt unwell, but yet had refused the offer of a taxi home. So had headed out to the bus station. My husband went on his way home to try to meet Dad at the bus station and bring him home. He didn't, and as it turned out, dad got on the correct bus and made his own way home safely, but that 40 mins wait was terrible.

Then about an hour later, dad called to say he'd lost his fish! I laughed because I had no idea what he meant, but realising he really meant he had lost his smoked haddock that he planned to cook for his tea, I offered to pop round and help him look.
When I arrived, I soon saw a frying pan, with spatula in it (and remnants of fish), the packaging in the bin and his plate and knife and fork washed up and on the drainer.
He was so puzzled. He said "I remember opening the pack, I remember putting the pan on" "I have no memory of eating it, and I don't feel like I've eaten".
It was clear that he'd cooked it, and that the carers had washed his pots. I just couldn't help him remember him eating it. He was very confused, very cross and very upset. When I offered to cook him something else (he was still hungry) he replied "no, I just want my smoked haddock" and "why can't I remember eating it?"

As I was leaving, I mentioned that he can go in the car to see Mum on Saturday, save him having the bus journey and the long walk to the station, and he replied very sternly "I was going to go in the car today, but you have my keys".

Bloody hell Dad, you can't remember eating 2 bits of fish, but you keep remembering who is keeping your ruddy car keys! I didn't say it outloud but by god, I felt like it!

So, I once again, talked him through the reasons, the implications etc etc. he couldn't look at me. I'm obviously the bad guy.

I came home and cried x

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
This is just the sort of thing which makes me flip. Not the emergencies, but the realizations. For me, it was ordering checks for Mom (she was out of them and rent was due), her telling me they never came, only "the things you write on" [ledgers]). The night before rent was due, in a fury, I went out there and went through every inch of her place looking for the checks. The packaging was in the trash. No boxes. In every drawer and on every surface, she'd written some reminder or incomprehensible note to herself. She'd been out, and when she came in, I asked her to look for the checks. She looked several places, all of which I'd checked, and came up empty. Then, silently, she lifted up a stored blanket and there they were. I opened each box, showing her that they were full of checks. "I'm useless," she said.

Then she told me the building manager had taken photos of me, not picking up after my dog. Of course, I always pick up after my dog. It took me ages to sort out how completely impossible this would be to capture on film, anyway.

Drove home into the sunset in a state of raving. It was a watershed moment.

Last edited:

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
all i can say as a sufferer in early stages is 'sorry guys', we do not mean it. sometimes the worst bit is that we are still 'with it' enough to seems as if it is deliberate. it is not!
days vary immensely. even worse can be that the next day we are lucid enough to know and feel how much we have upset you previously but cannot do anything about it. that just increases the frustration with this horrid disease and round and round you go again.

just try and always remember you are loved, wanted, needed and appreciated ALL the time even when it may not be obvious.

wayne

Gooby

Mar 5, 2016
Sorry Wayne..

all i can say as a sufferer in early stages is 'sorry guys', we do not mean it. sometimes the worst bit is that we are still 'with it' enough to seems as if it is deliberate. it is not!
days vary immensely. even worse can be that the next day we are lucid enough to know and feel how much we have upset you previously but cannot do anything about it. that just increases the frustration with this horrid disease and round and round you go again.

just try and always remember you are loved, wanted, needed and appreciated ALL the time even when it may not be obvious.

wayne

Sorry Wayne - Hadn't realized your position. Do hope you are taking the medication
and all the doctors' advice to arrest the progression of this awful disease.

My husband is obviously too far advanced and I am worn down so much that I have
absolutely not a shred of affection left for him. How could I when he has
cancelled the direct debit for a life insurance - I only became aware of it when I
found the policy torn up into little pieces. When I checked and enquired the awful
truth came out.

I have lovely daughter who live in another county - she had a job and family
commitments - school etc - so it is difficult for her to be here. She reckons he has
always been a selfish man and this latest development is another shock.

I know if I leave him he will have to be taken into care but I'm getting to the stage
where this will have to happen. I look at some of the blogs and marvel at how
kind and loving most of the carers are but I cannot join their ranks. Doc says I have been through too much recently (cancer op pacemaker and broken femur all in the
last 2 years).

Sorry I'm in danger of becoming a bore.

Please do as your doc. says and don 't become like the husband I now have.

Gooby

Mar 5, 2016
At least you can go home and get a break.

Dad has been home from hospital for 4 weeks, where he was diagnosed and given a care package of 2 carers twice a day, to aid with medication etc. Four weeks in, and with "just checking" app and dad used to the carers visiting, I think we've all relaxed a little.
Today, I knew Dad had gone out mid afternoon to visit my Mum. At 4pm I had a call from Mums care home. They were concerned that on leaving he had mentioned he felt unwell, but yet had refused the offer of a taxi home. So had headed out to the bus station. My husband went on his way home to try to meet Dad at the bus station and bring him home. He didn't, and as it turned out, dad got on the correct bus and made his own way home safely, but that 40 mins wait was terrible.

Then about an hour later, dad called to say he'd lost his fish! I laughed because I had no idea what he meant, but realising he really meant he had lost his smoked haddock that he planned to cook for his tea, I offered to pop round and help him look.
When I arrived, I soon saw a frying pan, with spatula in it (and remnants of fish), the packaging in the bin and his plate and knife and fork washed up and on the drainer.
He was so puzzled. He said "I remember opening the pack, I remember putting the pan on" "I have no memory of eating it, and I don't feel like I've eaten".
It was clear that he'd cooked it, and that the carers had washed his pots. I just couldn't help him remember him eating it. He was very confused, very cross and very upset. When I offered to cook him something else (he was still hungry) he replied "no, I just want my smoked haddock" and "why can't I remember eating it?"

As I was leaving, I mentioned that he can go in the car to see Mum on Saturday, save him having the bus journey and the long walk to the station, and he replied very sternly "I was going to go in the car today, but you have my keys".

Bloody hell Dad, you can't remember eating 2 bits of fish, but you keep remembering who is keeping your ruddy car keys! I didn't say it outloud but by god, I felt like it!

So, I once again, talked him through the reasons, the implications etc etc. he couldn't look at me. I'm obviously the bad guy.

I came home and cried x

I completely feel for you - but its good you can go home and get away from this
awful illness. I feel trapped here and hope for a solution soon - I cry every day
when the accusations keep coming and when the doctor comes he is all sweetness and light...Gooby