Gifts for dementia patients in hospital

Mercuria

May 7, 2014
When I visit my mother in hospital I always bring chocolates and her favourite biscuits with me. Eating is difficult now so I bring smaller quantities now, and last time I brought three small pots of favourite creamy desserts as well as they're easy to swallow.

She can't read any longer so I've stopped bringing magazines, and books are too heavy. She's past the stage of being able to play any kind of game or sustain a conversation for long. The ward doesn't allow flowers, unfortunately, I really want to bring some spring flowers in and I can't.

Sometimes I show her some photos on my phone. I'm thinking about printing out some pictures of her home town and I've been wondering about spraying a little of her favourite scent onto a hanky for her. She's unable to leave her bed now so the options are quite limited. I brought a supersoft dressing gown on a previous visit which felt lovely and am wondering about exploring other options that work with different senses.

Any suggestions? What sorts of things do those of you visiting dementia patients in hospital bring?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you cant take in real flowers, what about artificial ones? Some of them are very realistic now. How about magazines with lots of pictures in them that she could look at even if she cant read now? You could read sections of her favourite books from when she was a child (Mum likes AA Milne and Dr Dolittle) if conversation gets difficult. She might like a fiddle muff.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
I agree with artificial flowers - as canary says some of them can be so realistic now and really pretty, BHS do some really lovely ones that are either like plants in pots or a selection of flowers in a vase, they would be lovely for your Mum to look at.

If she liked the lovely soft dressing gown how about something to cuddle, a really soft teddy bear, or soft animal, again some can be really realistic now, so a cat or doggy to stroke might be good and something calming for her.

If she still has the energy to be busy a twiddle muff is a good option.

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
You could have some of her favourite photos put onto a fleece blanket or a cushion/pillow. Or ask around local book shops if there are any photo books of her home town in days gone by. I have one full of photos from the 30s to 60s of my home town.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Last time OH was in hospital I always brought her favourite perfume and sprayed some on her as soon as I got there, so that is worth trying as it always brightened her up. Home printed cards with photos of places we had visited together were a limited success due to lack of space, but maybe picture books of familiar places would help. I like whoever suggested artificial flowers, might pinch that idea if she is in again.
Sorry, that's a repetition of other ideas, I was intrigued myself.

KTAnneB

May 18, 2012
Victoria, Australia
I have been considering sending mum & dad (dad has severe dementia) a digital photo frame to use, thinking she could set it up for dad to watch for short periods of time; would that help in your circumstance?

Mercuria

May 7, 2014
Thanks very much for all the suggestions so far. I've never been keen on artificial flowers, but these days it can be very hard to tell the difference between those and real ones so I'm going to see what's available. They won't have the scent, but with tulips (which she loves) that won't matter.

If perfume has worked for other people then I'll try bringing some of that in.

She has a booklet of old photos of her home town in the years she lived there, but the problem is that she is now mostly so weak that it's difficult for her to hold or operate anything, and I get the impression that she can't see as well as she used to. I think there's a stage when the senses start to close down and it seems she is approaching that. I do like the idea of a digital photo frame but don't think that would work in this situation unfortunately. I'll see what I can do in the way of some A4 printouts.

I'll have a a think about textures. She doesn't have energy so something soft just to hold might be nice.

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
When mum was in hospital she was always a bit chilly, i bought her a really soft fleecy throw to keep her warm. She used to stroke and play with the edge. I think she felt comforted by it. She used to be the same with a toy dog, but is no longer interested in it.

Nice individual trifle pots were always a winner!

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there - whilst not a lover of artificial flowers some look so real nowadays and why not give them a spray of perfume - every time you go in just give a little spray :)

But it is hard finding things for people with dementia isn't it - hugsssss xxx