New bras

CucumberWhisky

Sep 23, 2015
Surrey
Hi everyone. After reading everything that you've been going through recently this is so trivial that I'm embarrassed to be posting it. You ALL have my thoughts and sympathy and a virtual hug.

My question is this. Does anyone have any clever tips as to how to get new bras softer? Mum's are definitely on their last legs but, having tried her with new ones, she finds them too tight. I suppose I could just keep washing them but any advice would be very welcome. Thank you and take care.

CW

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Wash them a couple of times. Or buy a bigger back size, then you can fasten it in tighter.

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I had to buy bigger band sizes for mum for the same reason. I've also started getting the soft cotton sport type bras. To be honest, they don't give a great deal of support, but mum seems comfortable with them & there's nothing to dig in or chafe.

Lin x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It maybe that the new bras are the wrong ones for her now, even if they are exactly the same as the old ones. I think a lot of people, as they get older even without dementia, find structured bras just too difficult to deal with. I agree with ellejay that sports type bras, even if they flatten rather than support might be the best way to go. But as you have the new bras already, perhaps try a bra extender in the first instance.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I switched Mum from bras to camisoles a long time ago. Bras are such an uncomfortable article of clothing. You can get camisoles with built in bra cups also, if you feel your mother would be more comfortable with that.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I have had to switch Mum from traditional type bra to the elasticated soft cup sports type bra.
Mum prefers these , although mentioned they do not give a lot of support.
She does get a bit tangled up in them putting them on so sometimes needs my assistance.
They wash easily but make sure there is nothing else in the wash with hooks or zips they can get caught in.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I agree with the idea of getting 'vest' type bras, with no wiring. Okay, they don't enhance the figure at all, but who cares about that when you don't even realise what clothes you're wearing? Perhaps we could see a miniscule benefit of dementia as not having to truss ourselves up in a bra anymore? I'm sorry I sound facetious but I hate wearing bras, but I have to because modesty is seen as so important for those of us who are older.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
You might try a sports bra, something like "Danskin Now," or perhaps do what we did - we shifted my mother to camisoles - easy to get over her head, pull down, and then loop the soft straps over her shoulders. It worked well for us - esp at the doctor's office - as these gave her privacy while enabling him to tend to her heart rate, etc.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Thats what I bought for Mum Kevin... but GBP1 :eek::eek:
Here in New Zealand a decent quality one is GBP10 :)

I can only say that they've stood the test of time, how many washes they've had in 3 years I don't know exactly but it's quite a few, must be 200ish washes.
I'm no expert on bras but they still look fine to me.
K

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I can only say that they've stood the test of time, how many washes they've had in 3 years I don't know exactly but it's quite a few, must be 200ish washes.
I'm no expert on bras but they still look fine to me.
K

Sorry that didn't come across quite the way I intended.
I was just amazed at how cheap you could buy one for in the UK? Everything here costs an arm and a leg.

Chook

Jun 14, 2013
Westcountry
Mum has recently started complaining about her bras being uncomfortable, digging into her. They are not new! So I bought her some of these. She seems really happy in them, although getting them on is a bit more of a faff because they go over her head and she thinks i'm putting her pants on her head.

http://www.evans.co.uk/en/evuk/prod...tx&gclid=CKjSnZvem8sCFSYFcgodrzAAfA&gclsrc=ds

But as you've already bought new ones I'd try to get a bra extender (or make one out of the old bra). Or perhaps sit there in the evening stretching them out like a catapult? :)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Personally, and speaking as an older woman, I hate those soft bras that you have to wriggle into as I never found them to be comfortable at all. I cannot wear bras with underwire in them because I am currently being treated for a problem with my lymph glands.

The most comfortable ones I have found are by Pl____ex as they also have nice wide straps to offer support. They are not the cheapest underwear to buy but the others just sit in the drawer and have been a waste of money. Bras with wider backs, at least 3 hooks are also better.

CucumberWhisky

Sep 23, 2015
Surrey
Thank you so much!

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions and ideas, and also for giving me a chance to have a little giggle. I've bought some extenders and also a front fastening sports bra from M&S today, and Mum will try it on this evening. Very expensive but seems very sturdy. I won't try the sports bras that you have to pull over your head - we have enough trouble with her briefs!

Kevin - I went into Poundland today but couldn't find any bras (not for Mum but for myself). Thanks for the idea though.

Lawson58 - Thanks for the giggle!

Cheers everyone for your thoughts and best wishes.

Take care.

CW x