Constantly losing hearing aids.

Jellybear

Feb 22, 2016
Hi there, i have just joined this forum but i have been reading some of the threads left by others and found many of the questions and answers familiar territory. I cared for my father for the past few years and now his alzheimers has progressed where he was considered unsafe to live independently and he has been living in a dementia home for the past year. I visit weekly. Dad's hearing is very poor and he is dependent on bilateral hearing aids. He kept mislaying one or the other and one or both would go missing from week to week. We managed to get him new ones from the hospital audiology department before Christmas, but since then the same thing has happened. We even wrote his name on each in indelible ink, but it has worn off. The care staff say that residents with dementia often mislay personal belongings including false teeth and hearing aids, quite often taking them out in a communal area and leaving them there or picking up someone elses. I don't know if there's a solution to this problem. Communication is difficult at the best of times but is impossible without dad wearing his hearing aids. Has anyone else experienced this?

rowtalk

Jun 13, 2014
Hi there, i have just joined this forum but i have been reading some of the threads left by others and found many of the questions and answers familiar territory. I cared for my father for the past few years and now his alzheimers has progressed where he was considered unsafe to live independently and he has been living in a dementia home for the past year. I visit weekly. Dad's hearing is very poor and he is dependent on bilateral hearing aids. He kept mislaying one or the other and one or both would go missing from week to week. We managed to get him new ones from the hospital audiology department before Christmas, but since then the same thing has happened. We even wrote his name on each in indelible ink, but it has worn off. The care staff say that residents with dementia often mislay personal belongings including false teeth and hearing aids, quite often taking them out in a communal area and leaving them there or picking up someone elses. I don't know if there's a solution to this problem. Communication is difficult at the best of times but is impossible without dad wearing his hearing aids. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes my dad has lost both his hearing aids, his teeth and three pairs of glasses it is very annoying, I also have to keep going to the hospital to get new ones.
As much as I do not know how to stop this I can sympathise with you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hearing aids are the bane of my life. Mum keeps losing hers and I havent found a solution either :rolleyes:
She now doesn't wear them as she "cant be bothered" with them, even though she cant hear very well .........
Sigh

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks

hello Jellybear;

I know it will not stop your father losing his earing aids ,but it would aid the staff to identify them if you used small piece of coloured sticky tape to them
(Red for example )
this is also a good and proven way of recognising and returning lost spectacles
If it was found that someone else was using the same method it is simple to add another small piece tape with another colour
I should add that this suggestion is sometimes met with cynicism but I know it works and saves not only money but frustration
Best Wishes
jimbo

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Dad keeps taking his out and leaving them wrapped in tissue paper on top of the toilet cystern. They cost about £1500 each to replace so I have kittens every time he tells me that he has lost them. I am sure one day a well meaning carer will flush them down the loo or something. So far we have always managed to track them down but then Dad never really leaves the house so I guess it is easier than a care home.

Jellybear

Feb 22, 2016
Hi there Jimbo

Many thanks for your suggestion. As i said, i've tried indelible pen, which wore off but I will most certainly try coloured tape too. That's a good idea. I do sympathise with the care staff. They try their best but it's impossible to keep an eye on all the dementia residents' possessions.

Jellybear :)

hello Jellybear;

I know it will not stop your father losing his earing aids ,but it would aid the staff to identify them if you used small piece of coloured sticky tape to them
(Red for example )
this is also a good and proven way of recognising and returning lost spectacles
If it was found that someone else was using the same method it is simple to add another small piece tape with another colour
I should add that this suggestion is sometimes met with cynicism but I know it works and saves not only money but frustration
Best Wishes
jimbo

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
One thing i tried was shrinkies plastics. You can write or print on it, cut it up and shrink in the oven. If you putcsomething heavy on it when warm itcshould be flat. Then super glue it to hearing aids and glasses. Only helps if someone finds it. Also siemebs hearing aids on ebay are £49 each. Much less pain. Thd hearing aid cord above looks worth a try!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5