Lost him........

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
A friend whose husband passed away last week after a very long illness commented that I had lost my partner even though he was still here in person. I have to agree with her I know longer have the person I looked at to give guidance in family situations, I no longer get the firm embrace which makes you feel safe I no longer have the financial security we enjoyed but mostly I no longer have some one to argue and discuss things with.

In November things went down hill quite rapidly and for 2 months we were in complete turmoil trying to get the medication right. Since then we have had 2 seizures, sir running away being abusive and agressive. We are now down to minimum medication for depression and and sedation (stop the aggression) and sir is now a shell of his former self, he no longer smiles does not know what to do in the toilet, having accidents, I follow him to the toilet now and direct and if need be put him on the toilet even though he refuses to sit whilst he knows he has the urge to go. Today for the first time I cleaned his bum not a problem for me rather do that than he does in pants and then go through that process. He is refusing medication again spent an hour coaxing him to have it don't want to go down the road of hiding meds again so will try the normal way for a while even though it is time consuming. He was offered day care but I cannot get him to get in car he is so paranoid I am taking him to care centre (his dad was in one and he is convinced we are going to put him in one). Nights are spent getting him into bed then an hour later when he is ready taking him to toilet waiting till he decides to do something then spending another hour listening to him being abusive and not getting into bed, when eventually does get in he sleeps like a baby till morning. Then the whole thing starts again trying to get him on toilet before he has an accident brushing teeth, shave if lucky and then he won't change won't have meds or breakfast. Manage to do all of it eventually. He does not want to go anywhere, drinking very little even though I try everything.

I am lucky than most as the boys are here to talk to and my sister takes my little one out so he has a normal life, but I want to take him to the pictures I want to go to his friends little parties, I want to take him to football on Sunday and watch him win or lose in the cold I want to take him swimming and pizza hut, butt cannot do all these things with him anymore and I am now feeling very resentful. I don't want to spend my future waiting for other half to get worse and in the meantime my little boy grows up without me being there for anything that happens out of the house, we have movie night at home we watch football on telly and I try and play games with him but he knows my mind is always on what dad is doing. Feeling sorry for myself, yes.....

The worse thing is its not as bad as it sounds especially when I read other threads..........

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I'm so sorry to read your post Keegan, and I'm not surprised you feel sorry for yourself. You are doing an amazing job, but I can see why you want to do things with your son and be 'normal' for him. I haven't any advice, but just wanted to send a hug. Is there any way that you can get any more help so that you can do the things you want to with your son?

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
A friend whose husband passed away last week after a very long illness commented that I had lost my partner even though he was still here in person. I have to agree with her I know longer have the person I looked at to give guidance in family situations, I no longer get the firm embrace which makes you feel safe I no longer have the financial security we enjoyed but mostly I no longer have some one to argue and discuss things with.

In November things went down hill quite rapidly and for 2 months we were in complete turmoil trying to get the medication right. Since then we have had 2 seizures, sir running away being abusive and agressive. We are now down to minimum medication for depression and and sedation (stop the aggression) and sir is now a shell of his former self, he no longer smiles does not know what to do in the toilet, having accidents, I follow him to the toilet now and direct and if need be put him on the toilet even though he refuses to sit whilst he knows he has the urge to go. Today for the first time I cleaned his bum not a problem for me rather do that than he does in pants and then go through that process. He is refusing medication again spent an hour coaxing him to have it don't want to go down the road of hiding meds again so will try the normal way for a while even though it is time consuming. He was offered day care but I cannot get him to get in car he is so paranoid I am taking him to care centre (his dad was in one and he is convinced we are going to put him in one). Nights are spent getting him into bed then an hour later when he is ready taking him to toilet waiting till he decides to do something then spending another hour listening to him being abusive and not getting into bed, when eventually does get in he sleeps like a baby till morning. Then the whole thing starts again trying to get him on toilet before he has an accident brushing teeth, shave if lucky and then he won't change won't have meds or breakfast. Manage to do all of it eventually. He does not want to go anywhere, drinking very little even though I try everything.

I am lucky than most as the boys are here to talk to and my sister takes my little one out so he has a normal life, but I want to take him to the pictures I want to go to his friends little parties, I want to take him to football on Sunday and watch him win or lose in the cold I want to take him swimming and pizza hut, butt cannot do all these things with him anymore and I am now feeling very resentful. I don't want to spend my future waiting for other half to get worse and in the meantime my little boy grows up without me being there for anything that happens out of the house, we have movie night at home we watch football on telly and I try and play games with him but he knows my mind is always on what dad is doing. Feeling sorry for myself, yes.....

The worse thing is its not as bad as it sounds especially when I read other threads..........

You are SUCH a loving a devoted partner, but you do need time to have your life with your little boy. Can you possibly hire someone to come in for a few hours so you can go out to the movies and games with him? I imagine your OH would want that for you, if it's at all possible.

You want your life back. Most of us do. I hope you can get out a bit and find a safe harbor for your heart and mind.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Oh keegan I do understand the resentfulness. I feel the same way about my dad & my son and then I feel guilty.

I agree with the others. Is there any way you could get help then you can spend more time with your little one?

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Thanks for listening. Have put an ad in for help and have someone coming over tomorrow. Fingers crossed. The only way forward is to spend money, money my other half worked hard so little man could have a good future as he always knew because he had him late in life (55) he would not be able to provide for long. Not even in our worse dreams had we contemplated what was in store.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
That's good to hear Keegan and will be worth every penny to give you some respite and quality time with your boys. Your husband would support you 100% I'm sure xxxx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Lost him

So sorry for what you are having to deal with. I think I'm having a bad time. You are amazing to be managing especially with a younger child. I send you my love and hope you can get some help. Have you got Crossroads in your area. They are well worth a call.Good luck. love.xxx

gwincy

May 18, 2014
Cheshire

So sorry for you, I am dealing with the same situations but thankfully our children are grown up with children of their own. I thought I was having a tough time but it is nothing to your situation. Look after yourself and try and find time to have some fun with your son and take some time out for yourself.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon

I feel so sorry for you, but I know that doesn't help your situation.
Do you have any local support groups that would come and be with your partner, while you take your son out, or a care agency that would help out every so often. There may be someone somewhere, I can only suggest you use all the connections you have to advertise for the individual help you need.
Try looking at your local carers direct, alzheimers organisation may know where to get help in your area.
I know it's not easy to access help and it's time consuming etc. but the more people know of your situation ,the better chance you have of getting a little help.
The problem seems to be that in reality there is not enough support, even though we are continually being told there is support for carers.
I do hope you manage to get something even if only for a few hours. Take care.