Memory Tests - advice please

Krug 22

Dec 12, 2015
My husbands behaviour has not been right for several years but he is very much in denial.For example, my dyson was blocked and he used a drill to try to get it out when it was connected to the mains! He also put a huge piece of meat in the baine marie and got angry when I asked if he was checking it. He then went to sleep and I found out that it had boiled over putting the gas flame out but the gas was still on. He has also burnt every saucepan in the house - he needs constant watching. He gets aggressive when questioned. I also notice he seems to struggle to get his bearings in town. He is 76 nearly 77 much older than me but we have been married for 25 years.
He had a memory test yesterday - GP sent out letter suggesting he go for a MOT - blood tests, ECG and blood pressure and memory. He was fine on the time, date and year and counting backwards from 20, plus the months of the year backwards - all very easy. But he got very muddled over the remembering an address - Fred Jones, 34 Queens Road Manchester - he could only get Fred then Smith, then totally forgot the road but remembered Manchester. Does this suggest he will be asked to go for further testing even though it is only one part of the test? To me, it substantiates my worries over his short term memory. He also has a lot of health problems, Lupus, Psoriasis and has to be see a nephrologist next month over urine and blood in his urine, plus he has gout and anaemia - it is a nightmare to get him to eat. I am really at the end of my tether. I do get Carers Allowance because he has a heamatoma three years ago and he does get Attendance Allowance but we have not had a Carers Assessment. I do know he may well refuse further tests and try to convince nurse that he was deaf and did not hear her properly! He is a very controlling person and I do feel that deep down he realises something is wrong. Just wondered if maybe I should contact the GP with a letter about my concerns? Very hard for me to get out to see GP even if he would see me. Thanks for reading any advice from people who have been through the memory test thing would be appreciated. Am I the only one who thought the questions were very easy?

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
My husbands behaviour has not been right for several years but he is very much in denial.For example, my dyson was blocked and he used a drill to try to get it out when it was connected to the mains! He also put a huge piece of meat in the baine marie and got angry when I asked if he was checking it. He then went to sleep and I found out that it had boiled over putting the gas flame out but the gas was still on. He has also burnt every saucepan in the house - he needs constant watching. He gets aggressive when questioned. I also notice he seems to struggle to get his bearings in town. He is 76 nearly 77 much older than me but we have been married for 25 years.
He had a memory test yesterday - GP sent out letter suggesting he go for a MOT - blood tests, ECG and blood pressure and memory. He was fine on the time, date and year and counting backwards from 20, plus the months of the year backwards - all very easy. But he got very muddled over the remembering an address - Fred Jones, 34 Queens Road Manchester - he could only get Fred then Smith, then totally forgot the road but remembered Manchester. Does this suggest he will be asked to go for further testing even though it is only one part of the test? To me, it substantiates my worries over his short term memory. He also has a lot of health problems, Lupus, Psoriasis and has to be see a nephrologist next month over urine and blood in his urine, plus he has gout and anaemia - it is a nightmare to get him to eat. I am really at the end of my tether. I do get Carers Allowance because he has a heamatoma three years ago and he does get Attendance Allowance but we have not had a Carers Assessment. I do know he may well refuse further tests and try to convince nurse that he was deaf and did not hear her properly! He is a very controlling person and I do feel that deep down he realises something is wrong. Just wondered if maybe I should contact the GP with a letter about my concerns? Very hard for me to get out to see GP even if he would see me. Thanks for reading any advice from people who have been through the memory test thing would be appreciated. Am I the only one who thought the questions were very easy?

Hello Krug 22 - I am reasonably new to TP and care for my Mother who had the same test as your husband in 2014. Yes I thought it was easy and like your husband counted backwards ok but could not remember the name and address and was vague on other things. BUT I do think GP's are trained well enough to spot the need for a referral for further tests. I would firstly chase up the GP and find out whether he is definately being referred to a memory clinic. If getting him there is going to be difficult (as at was for me with Mum), can you suggest the visit is for some other health reason? Is there anyone who could go with you? I'm sure lots of other people on here can give you advice as I think most of us struggle with getting our loved ones to accept they need help. Likewise, covering up, and deception seem to run hand in hand with dementia symptoms. I believe to begin with that they maybe a self-defence mechanism. The next stage at the memory clinic was, for Mum and I, very uncomfortable. If it wasn't for the fact that Mum could not get home on her own, she would have left. It begins with the general health questions and then becomes a more detailed memory test. At the very end, when Mum refused any further help, scans, support, medication or even information and stomped out, the Doctor wished me good luck. I wish you and your hubby well.

Gwyneth

Nov 25, 2015
Hi Krug 22. My thoughts go out to you having gone through similar experiences and the anger, frustration and anxiety the behaviour can cause. There seems to be a process to reaching diagnosis which can be quite lengthy and follows a staged pattern. The first is to flag up the problems with the GP as you have done. Blood tests need to eliminate that the problems are not caused by other medical conditions. Then a Memory Clinic referral. This is usually with a training nurse or Occupational Therapist. Questions and a standardised memory test out of 100 is given while you go out to give your answers to questions as you see it. Depending on the score a review may be pegged for a year's time or referral for brain scans and follow up with a consultant. Then some sort of diagnosis, advice, medication if diagnosis reached of dementia etc, maybe literature, cognitive stimulation therapy group etc. I now use 'love lies' a lot more and think things through from a perpective of what may go wrong for him. We also signed forms at surgery so that they can speak to either of us about the other person, in reality this is for me. It really has helped ward off any blocking of confidential stuff. This is how it happened in our area. We are due a second scan on Friday as I pushed for a further review because my husband's short term memory has slipped hugely this past year and his driving licence has come up for renewal and declaration of cognitive impairment had to be declared so we are also seeing the consultant because he must decide on this matter for a report to DVLA. Good luck and try to keep smiling. There are constant ups and downs. I find I try not to dwell on what has past. Today is always a new day!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi Krug22,

My sympathies go to you as you find yourself in this situation.

Sometimes it can be a long long road to getting a diagnosis and the memory test that is given in the doctor's surgery is mostly used as part of a whole suite of diagnostic tools that is used in the process.

OH always does well on that test but it was the extensive testing done by a neuropsychologist along with a heap of other tests and scans that finally gave us a diagnosis of Alzheimer's.

He is in total denial about his illness and always has been. The worst part for me was and still is dealing with his paranoia and some of what you said about your husband reminds me of mine. And frankly, I don't care much about OH does on any test because I am the only one who really knows how much he has slipped in the last few weeks just as you are the only one who knows what you are living with.

Krug 22

Dec 12, 2015
Thank you for the response. I do feel less alone but I am truly sorry that you are all going or have been through something similar. My husband does have a good GP and I do trust him to do his best.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I started these tests in 1999 it was because the medication Aricept was very expensive and the cost was shared between Clinic & G.P surgery they have change a little since then

Orientation Maximum Score* Patient Score*
What is the (year) (season) (date) (day) (month)? ***

Where are we? (state) (country) (town) (hospital) (floor) ***

Registration
Name 3 objects:
Examiner is to say each, then ask the patient all 3 after saying them. Give 1 point for each correct answer. Then repeat them until patient learns all 3. Count trials and record.
Trials_________ ***

Attention and calculation
Serial 7s. 1 point for each correct. Stop after 5 answers. Alternatively, spell "world" backward.

Recall
Ask for the objects repeated above. Give 1 point for each correct. ***

Language

Name a pencil and watch (2 points) ***
Repeat the following "No ifs, ands, or buts" (1 point) ***
Follow a 3-stage command:
"Take a paper in your right hand, fold it in half, and put it on the floor" (3 points) **
Read and obey the following:
Close your eyes (1 point) *****
Write a sentence (1 point) ***
Copy design (1 point) ****

Total score
Assess level of consciousness along a continuum

Alert Drowsy Stupor Coma

*A score <20 is indicative of a dementia. Patients with the benign forgetfulness of senility generally score >25 .

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hope this helps .......................

Krug 22 & sorry :( you have had too find us here on TP ( but glad you have posted here as am sure you wil find lots of god advice & support etc on TP )

My Dad was diagnosed in 2009 after my Mother knew there was not some thing not quite right :( with my Father ( am lucky we lived in the same area plus have the same G P ) Dad went too the G P firstly on his own but that was not good :( as he came Home with no treatment etc ( think ? he was not able too explain properly etc too the GP ! ) Then Mum took him too my GP after a sad incident when Dad came back from walking down too the shops As you can guess Mum was very worried etc at this point & luckily :) my GP is very good & is the type that does like too sort out problems once & for all ! ! Dad had too do the Mini Mental State Test** which I think ? you are talking about ? Any how I do not know how well Dad did etc but the G P did advise Father too make a appointment at the Hospital Memory Clinic ( Mum made the appointment ) & it was at the Clinic where after further tests etc Father was diagnosed

As far as I am aware ? the mini mental state test does not diagnose any thing** but rather gives the G P a idea of what is going on etc ( Altz Society do lots of good Information about this & other good information sheets about this & you can print them off Hope that helps :) )

Sorry it is not easy for you too get too the GP on your own etc & informing the GP of your concerns etc in a letter is a good idea

Hope this helps & yes guess some of the test questions are easy too start with ! but Dad had some more difficult tests at the Clinic Recall memory tests which he did not do so well on

Best wishes too you both & good luck

take care

Grove x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Again.....................

Thank you for the response. I do feel less alone but I am truly sorry that you are all going or have been through something similar. My husband does have a good GP and I do trust him to do his best.

Krug 22 Sorry think our** posts crossed over ! , so glad you feel less alone :) after the replies you have had & very pleased you have a good trust worthy G P That must make you feel less worried etc

Take care

Grove x

Krug 22

Dec 12, 2015
Thanks again - Lawson- I can really relate to what you put - we the people who deal with our partners day to day, notice the short term memory loss and other things.

I have found out GP follows up tests with a phone call whatever the result and this is booked for Wednesday. I really hope he suggests a scan. Husband had an acute on chronic heamatoma nearly 3 years ago and this may well have affected part of the brain that controls temperature and even smell..........

I wonder if anyone has experienced total lack of appetite in their partner/loved one? and how they have coped? My husband weights less than 8st - a 3st weight loss in less than a year. He is also anaemic. I do try to order things from Tesco online that he likes but most of it gets binned and I do prompt him to eat. He is also very anaemic and cannot easily take the iron tablets because it affects his digestion and I know that anaemia can also cause lack of appetite so it is a vicious circle. I wonder if this is part of the 'illness' ? I have discussed this over the phone with a dietician and she has persribed Fortisip. He now is having nothing but Fortisip so I am going to buy some until the next prescription. I have tried to explain that they are 'in addition' to a diet and lack fibre but he keeps telling me I am stupid and not a dietician. I am going to see if we can see dietician face to face at the local hospital where they have a clinic. It is hard for me to see his GP because I am at a different surgery - my husband fell out with my GP and threatened to sue him!

My instincts tell me something is very wrong even if the GP does not want to take further action. My husband also has a nephrologist appointment in March plus is waiting for an appointment with a Heamatoria clinic due to blood and protein in his urine so I am very worried about kidney disease - I breed cats so although have no medical knowledge used to dealing with vets. I also know that the anaemia, loss of appetite is something that red flags kidney disease in older cats. Thanks for listening - I do understand and relate to what so many of you are going through when we are only trying to do our best for our loved ones.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell