Sleep

Munever

Feb 16, 2016
My mother is not sleeping through the night. She is up two or three times wandering, emptying cupboards. Is there anything I can ask the doctor to prescribe. She has a sleeping tablet every night but is not working. Any suggestions please

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
My mother is not sleeping through the night. She is up two or three times wandering, emptying cupboards. Is there anything I can ask the doctor to prescribe. She has a sleeping tablet every night but is not working. Any suggestions please

my MIl was like this on zoplaclone i think it as called worked for a while then did not went back to dr tried 2 others they had bad side effects agressive behavour being one. so now she on none and in last 3 months she been sleeping better

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If she has been on the sleeping pill for more than 14 days, then there is a strong possiblity its not working, or in my experiance making matters worse.

It's along haul try to get them to sleep through, worse than a baby!
Try to find whats waking them up, thirst, hunger, cold/heat, toilet etc, and try to fix it.
Like a baby, don't let them sleep during the day, create a fairly fixed routine, and expectations around bedtime.

Bod

As for the cupboard, lock it, or let them play with it! (Fill with quiet objects that don't make a noise!!)

Popscarer

Feb 8, 2016
My FIL went through that. Emptied cupboards, rearranged things and generally made loads of mess! I just removed all dangers and now have a locked cupboard for cleaning materials. Most other cupboards in the kitchen are empty or contents out of sight so in the end he just used to hang the washing up (everywhere) or hide things (his version of tidying) I think it's an attempt to be busy, something to do in their mind. I now have the other extreme, can't keep him up. No sooner he's downstairs he obsesses about going back to bed. Says he needs to, wants to and its a privilege of old age. If I didn't get him up he'd just stay there not always sleeping just laying there convinced he's tired!