Living in Spain. Somazina

acacia

Jan 15, 2013
Today we had an appointment with the Italian Locum who prescribed Somazina. He is leaving tomorrow. I told him about the improvement in O.H. O.H. also told him how well he felt and didn't feel stressed because he was remembering things. My one concern was that once my elderly Spanish Dr. returns he will not continue to prescribe Somazina. The Italian Dr. said 'don't worry I will speak to him' then gave me a 3 month prescription. He said he had had a number of patients in Italy that had done incrediably well on Somazina for a number of years and others that hadn't. Fingers crossed Somazina may really help. As O.H. is only in the early stages I wouild really like to know from other folks have they found over the years a medication that has helped for some time. or are they just a very short term help. Don't want to get my hopes to high. Perhaps need a reality check, as O.H. is doing so well.
Acacia.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello,
I am sorry I know so little about this drug although I see Izzy posted about it too in an earlier Thread.

If your OH is responding well then maybe it is better you accept it. Here in UK my husband was on Aricept for many years and I truly do not know how it helped. Maybe he coped with dressing himself and personal hygiene just a little longer, just not sure:confused:.

Have you family over there as it can be so hard without some support?
Best wishes

acacia

Jan 15, 2013
Hello,
I am sorry I know so little about this drug although I see Izzy posted about it too in an earlier Thread.

If your OH is responding well then maybe it is better you accept it. Here in UK my husband was on Aricept for many years and I truly do not know how it helped. Maybe he coped with dressing himself and personal hygiene just a little longer, just not sure:confused:.

Have you family over there as it can be so hard without some support?
Best wishes
Thanks BeckyJan, I am in contact all the time with my two daughters, but don't really discuss the problems, although they are aware of their Dads memory problems. We do have fantastic friends and support from the locals, so we are very lucky.

Badietta

Feb 23, 2013
Hi Acacia

I live in Italy but have absolutely no idea about Somazina I'm sorry to say. My husband is on Memantine (Ebixa) and is very settled on this. What I do know a bit about, however, is relocating back to the UK from Spain as a friend of mine did this recently given that her husband also had early AZ and she didn't want to leave things until they became desperate.

If you'd like to talk about coping as an ex-pat I'm here and ready to listen.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
It is a drug used for vascular cerebral accident.

It is interesting that helped your husband. I wonder what is his diagnosis.

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
How nice to hear you are in Italy, and I need to know about Memantine, please.

Hi Acacia

I live in Italy but have absolutely no idea about Somazina I'm sorry to say. My husband is on Memantine (Ebixa) and is very settled on this. What I do know a bit about, however, is relocating back to the UK from Spain as a friend of mine did this recently given that her husband also had early AZ and she didn't want to leave things until they became desperate.

If you'd like to talk about coping as an ex-pat I'm here and ready to listen.

You know something about Memantine! I picked up the perscription for my 94-year old father, newly diagnosed with 'mixed dementia'- (Both vascular and Az). It's supposed to be protective for the brain's neurons, but I think it's, -effectively, to stop angry and erratic behavior. I am dubious about giving it to my reasonable, patient, father, who is dozing so often now, as I think it makes one yet more tired. How has your husband responded to the drug? How lovely to live in Italy. We did many years ago. Are you thinking of returning to England?

whileaway

Dec 11, 2015
It is a drug used for vascular cerebral accident.

It is interesting that helped your husband. I wonder what is his diagnosis.

Ana, I think they don't find it helpful to vascular dementia, but to advanced Alzheimers, yes it is somewhat helpful for a while.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
My husband has been on Memantine since March 15mg, for aggression, and agitation, it did help for a while, Dr. Told me it can increase blood pressure, then he could have a stroke, it has not affected his blood pressure, he still takes Donepezil.

Badietta

Feb 23, 2013
menantine

My husband still doesn't have a diagnosis and the way it's going I doubt that he ever will have. He was started on memantine when he still only had early stage dementia and it bought us 2 years of normality - right back to the point when there was no problem at all - he was 'normal' again. However, I accepted what the Neurologist said - that the memantine would only mask his symptoms and that's what happened. When he 'emerged' out the other side his symptoms were devastating. What I do know is that he hasn't got AZ - no biomarkers - and he's going downhill much too fast for any AZ diagnosis anyway.

Return to the UK? No chance. The speed of his deterioration means that it's all too late. Basically he can't leave home now and gets lost inside it every minute of every day.