Do most Alzheimers sufferers take anti depressants?

Tray2283

Oct 5, 2015
Hi, my mum was on a low dose of anti depressants, then when her behaviour became more challenging & she often became tearful, they upped her dosage.
Recently she has had UTI's every month& after seeing the physiatrists, they decided to put her on a low dose of preventative antibiotics.
This together with her antibiotics has helped stabilise her moods.All settled for now

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
My mum had challenging behaviour and went into hospital, they prescribed amisulpride an anti psychotic and it has had a marvellous effect, lifting her mood and stopping behaviour problems. She is like my old mum again.

pitufi

Nov 29, 2015
London
hey everyone, i'm new!

My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers just under 2 years ago and was prescribed donezepil right away.

This week her local mental health nurse popped by to check up on her and do a couple of memory test to see how she's doing.
She called me the next day to say she's seen a massive decline since her last visit and wants to change her medication and prescribe antidepressants.

I pick up her new prescription tomorrow and I'm nervous about the antidepressants. I think it might be due to stigma... She's always such a happy lady, even when shes confused, as long as i'm around or my husband is, she'll brush it off and keep smiling.

Anti depressants make me feel like maybe i havent picked up on her sadness? she's always been moved to tears during heartwarming moments, and I know I've missed on cues where she would tear up if she remembered feelings from another time.

I hope she gets on with her new medication better, i found the donepezil gave her a permanent runny nose which she hated. I hope the antidepressants make her feel better too, will see after next week i guess

little shettie

Nov 10, 2009
I've been told by several experienced persons that most Alzheimers sufferers are on antidepressants. Is this true? Our Mum is really low these last three months, sad, quiet and weeping, but the doctor is reluctant to prescribe them. She is on the lowest dose of galantamine now and I suspect this will be discontinued soon as her cognitive abilities have deteriorated. I think the depression is because, despite her deterioration, she still has sufficient awareness to know she is losing her memory and she is frightened despite everything we do to reassure her.

My mum has been on antidepressants for about 2 years. My dad passed away and she was unable to move on from that moment and so the GP suggested them. As first we didn't think they were going to work but then they kicked in and worked brilliantly. Then there was a relapse after some time and the GP increased the dosage and that worked well again, she was like a different person, easy going and reasonably happy again. Again another relapse back and the GP has now tried some different AD's and its too early to say whether these are working. I have to say that the psychiatrist we saw at the memory clinic said people over 65 years old should not be prescribed AD but I told him that mum was so much better on them and why had the GP prescribed them if this was the case. His answer, GP's don't really understand this!! :eek:

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
I've been told by several experienced persons that most Alzheimers sufferers are on antidepressants. Is this true? Our Mum is really low these last three months, sad, quiet and weeping, but the doctor is reluctant to prescribe them. She is on the lowest dose of galantamine now and I suspect this will be discontinued soon as her cognitive abilities have deteriorated. I think the depression is because, despite her deterioration, she still has sufficient awareness to know she is losing her memory and she is frightened despite everything we do to reassure her.
Mum takes 10 mg citalopram, she was never on anti depressants prior to her alzheimers

sunny beach hut

Jul 1, 2014
Hiu Granny C
Mum was prescribed first Citalopram and then Sertraline for her depression with Alzheimer's. She is now in the process of being weaned off them because she had no benefit at all from them. I think this is sometimes a side effect of the disease. We took the view that if she felt no better and didn't display signs of feeling any benefit - why be on them.
Not sure if this helps but wanted to let you know.
TAke care

gilswife

May 10, 2016
antidepressants

My own experience with antidepressants was not positive. though the aleviated the depression, I suffered from anxiety attacks for many years afterwards and would never take them again. I first took Prozac for three months and a few years later fell into depression again. I complained that Prozac had left me with anxiety and was assured the Citalapram would not do that. The fact is that I got horrendous attacks immediately but was told I had to take them for two years or it would do more damage. I am now free but would never take antidepressants again and would warn others to avoid them

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I think, as with all medication, it's what helps an individual and to be monitored by GP, patient and family - nothing works for everyone but that's not to say something won't work for someone and help alleviate distress