Please can somebody explain

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Just been to see OH and was talking to one of the Carers about this. Apparently nearly everyone does it, but she didn't know any more than I do - that 'normal' behaviour occasionally surfaces, so it must be there somewhere. Just wish I could access it at will!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Just been to see OH and was talking to one of the Carers about this. Apparently nearly everyone does it, but she didn't know any more than I do - that 'normal' behaviour occasionally surfaces, so it must be there somewhere. Just wish I could access it at will!

Yes. That's the really frustrating part.:(

DazeInOurLives

Dec 10, 2009
East Midlands,UK
twitter.com
Does anybody know why some days a person with dementia can be lucid and fairly normal and then the next day be completely phased out, not bothered about anything, anxious and defensive. I understand the disease affects and wipes out parts of the brain but what I dont understand is why some days it is not so bad and then other days it is awful. If some parts of the brain are dead why do they revive themselves on occasions? I just can't get my head around this disease or is that the nature of it?

Quality and quality of sleep makes a massive difference to my Mum. When she gets up when she really needed to doze for a bit longer she always has a bad day. After a good, undisturbed night, she can cope well awake during the day for a maximum of about 6 hours. Otherwise she spends her day disagreeable, anxious, guarded and afraid. Ideally she needs 15-16 hours in bed, not all of those asleep, but just enjoying the lack of demands that being in bed brings her.

I realise that this amount of time in bed is impossible for those who are restless and need to wander, but for those who withdraw to their bed, I think it is simply a way of coping with the massive effort it takes to get through a day clouded in confusion and fear.

Melatonin at 8pm has helped Mum's quality of sleep beyond measure and takes her back several months in her disease. She still has bad days when she has (necessary) time off melatonin or something else has disturbed her sleep. Mum also needs her alzheimer's and anxiety medication early in her day to give her the best start...sometimes she takes it later but on those days everyone has a rough morning.

So often I have heard people dismiss the amount of sleep an older person needs, but it takes an awful lot of mental energy to cope with a day with dementia and good quality sleep, fresh air and gentle exercise are key factors. I think this is a major area for research into quality of life for people with dementia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gardenlodge