memory cinic

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
This stage is awful, MOH is going through it too. Same old questions, time after time, same accusations 'you didn't tell me' is the one used most. I have always done our accounting, so that side isn't a problem, but I understand how embarrassing your situation is. Tell anyone who YOU think should know of your husband's condition, it's an illness, and nothing to be ashamed of.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
I understand what you're both saying the trouble is its so difficult without a definitive diagnosis and the fact he doesn't think there's anything wrong with him. If he would acknowledge that there's a problem it would probably be easier. He was not even happy with me disclosing information about how he really is on the attendance allowance form, I told him we should send copy of report from the consultant at memory clinic even though it only said 'forgetfulness probably secondary to vascular problems'. He wanted me to say he had gone to clinic voluntarily and give his test scores. I had to say that if we did that there was no point in even sending the form. Eventually he relented. I'm still not sure we will get it but just hope.

Sent from my B1-A71 using Talking Point mobile app

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Sad as it is I think you will have to wait until 'denial' changes to 'total unawareness'.
How long this will take is unknown, for some it is years, for me it was about 3 months.

macatac

Nov 9, 2014
North Wales
My mum was originally assessed by a memory clinic in Birmingham, and was recently reassessed here in north wales after moving in with my partner and myself. This was my first experience of a memory clinic. My mum went into a seperate room where the nurse weighed her,took blood pressure ect and asked her lots of questions. My partner and I we're in another room where we we're asked lots of questions and asked what,if any,concerns we had. They said they we're also asking social services to arrange to come visit my mum to do a assessment. We are expecting this visit within the next couple of weeks. My partner and I have also requested a carer assessment, which we are still waiting for. All in all,the visit to the memory clinic took just over one hour. Since the visit,we have received a letter from the clinic stating they have contacted our Gp,requested she carried on prescribing the same dose of donepezil and the other medication's my mum takes. No medications we're added or removed

Mollygoose

Dec 19, 2014
Lincolnshire
Memory clinic

Hi there my mum has had the tests 3times at 6monthly intervals ! They are straight forward question ! Like who's prime minister and question like what month is it !i was sat with my mum and she scored better than me ! I quite enjoyed it ! Mum has short term memory loss in fact she can't remember anything that has happened 30mins ago ! It's interesting so just go along and relax !

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
A good, informed, supportive memory clinic service in anyones area is a bonus but in my opinion it's your OH/MIL/Mum/Dad/sister's/brother's local doctor who is the key figure and the one you need to have a good dialogue and complete openness and trust with. If you don't have that - change your doctor.
IMHO - Twiddler x

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
I think my wife had similar concerns when she came with me to the memory clinic.Today is one of my best days, and I have a vivid memory of what happened at the first appointment..at least today I do:(

You might find it useful if you do the 'booking in' when you might have the chance to tell the receptionist that you would like to speak to someone alone. It is quite likely however, that your husban will do some neurocognitive tests, for which they will want you to leave the room. During this time they will probably give you a chance to speak on a one-one.
I hope this helps.
I'm going to stop know because I think I'm starting to garble type

John

Have just received appointment for memory clinic for my husband, panic!
Hadn't expected it to be so quick so was surprised that it's next week.
They say appointment could last up to an hour and a half, don't really know what to expect, can anyone tell me what will happen?
I have been keeping notes and will get them organised into something more coherent before we go. Will I have the opportunity to speak to anyone without him there because if not I don't know if I can say all the things I want to. Unfortunately he doesn't think there is a problem and to outsiders it isn't obvious but to myself and my daughter it is a worry.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!