Dad keeps wandering off

Montoya

Jan 4, 2015
My dad often takes himself off out for a walk. Last week it was after an argument and we ended up driving round trying to find him. Fortunately and by some miracle he had found his way to the day centre he attends and they contacted us.

This week while mum was upstairs (10 mins only) he had taken himself off, with only a long sleeved shirt on - it was freezing!

I've been looking for some sort of gps so that if he does this we can find him. There are watches but he would not wear a watch. He's long since stopped carrying a phone.

Does anyone else have this problem? Have you got any suggestions?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Montoya

My husband used to wander off and I used to follow him. I did have a sensor on the back and front doors which set of an alarm when they opened but didn`t have a GPS.

I hope you find something to help.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
We contacted our local borough and they provided a Buddi tracker for free. It's called telecare. Don't ask and you don't get.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
My dad started wandering and getting lost. I was beside myself with worry. I could be upstairs and hear the door open and close and he was off. He even climbed out of a window at 3am once. Night time was the worst time. My solution is a door alarm which I activate if I'm upstairs. All the windows are locked. At night time we are locked in the house. He can wander around the house all night if he likes, and he does. I am safe in the knowledge that he cannot get out and is therefore safe. However, he constantly wakes me up wanting to get out :( I have yet to work out how to get him to sleep well.

Pitcher15

Dec 23, 2012
Bridport, dorset
I literally had the same problem last night, dad decided to go for a wander, never has done before but while I was in the shower decided to take himself off for a walk, thankfully we found him down the road but I was in a right state. He seems to remember doing it and says he's sorry, but I worry that it will happen when we're at work, I know it doesn't help your situation but I find it comforting that people are going through the same as me! Will be interested to hear others opinions aswell.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have the same problem with mum, although mainly she only wanders as far as the garden gate, but I cannot see the gate from the house so I have no idea if she has had a fall on the way, so out I go again. It generally starts at 1pm and used to go on till 4ish, usually the dark would stop her, but not now, she seems to want to be out there all the time. She has in the past climbed out of the dining room window in the early hours. We are now locked in from 4pm until the morning, but she is always asking me to unlock the door. I hope this stage passes quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielf1