Hi, can someone please tell me if this is part of Dementia or not?

Marisa

Dec 20, 2014
Devon
Hi everyone, am new to here.

My mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimers for a few yrs now and is on medication to try and slow it down. So far she just forgets what you have said. Her past memory is pretty good still. Its mainly since her Alzheimers that she doesn't remember.
But yesterday she had put two mounds of soil in hers and my dads bed on each side. No-one saw her do it and at first my dad thought my daughter had done it but she hadn't. Mum was horrified when she saw the dirt in her bed as thats something she would never do but she must have. Of course she has no memory of it. I just need to know is this part of Alzheimers or something else?? My Dad finds it difficult to believe that my Mum did it. And that she has done nothing else out of the ordinary. What made it worse was that it happened on my Mums bday.
Any advice greatly appreciated thanks.

Mums helper

Sep 7, 2014
Hi Marrisa,
It's hard to know.my mum has had dementia for a do few years now and sometimes it feels like we have a stranger in the house or the dogs have developed interesting skills! Mum has no memory of who has put the **** on the windowsill, it must of been her brother ( sadly he has been dead for several years ). I've become quite good at saying thing like.... I wonder what's happened here? no blame or guilt, just clear up and move on. Life is odd but once you enter the dementia world and stop trying to find out why or rationalise, it becomes a lot easer! take care of yourself x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Tomjo

Oct 27, 2014
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'soil' being a bit dim I suppose, but if you mean S**t ... my mum did something similar a couple of months ago, just before she was diagnosed... I found an enormous pile of 'soil' wrapping in a pair of knickers hidden down the side of the sofa ...

I just cleared it up while she was out of the room and didn't mention it. Later that day I asked had she been to the toilet that day (normal question as she suffers terribly from constipation) and she said she wasn't sure, she thought she might have done.

So if mum is anything to go by then, yes, its part of it all. Incidentally, it hasn't happened since, I'm glad to say!

Marisa

Dec 20, 2014
Devon
Thanks so much for your replies. Sorry you are having those probs and agree is best to not mention it when it happens to avoid further upset. No sorry what I meant and I should've worded it better is that she put earth (soil) in their bed, two mounds of it. xx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I think the clue is in the name of the condition "Dementia", as they say "expect the unexpected". Maybe she was making a flower bed:) Odd and out of the ordinary behaviour can be caused by an infection usually a UTI so it may be worth getting this checked out at the doctors.
K

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp